Thread: One RAW clip - combine two/three ISO

1. #1 One RAW clip - combine two/three ISO 
    Hi,

I`ve been looking for an answer for this question for a while, sorry if that`s something well known - I might have been expressing my question incorrectly then.

Is it possible in Davinci Resolve 12.5 to do the following:

- I have RAW clip (from BMPCC, if that`s important), that has both very highlighted areas - sun reflecting from the sea, and lowlight areas - shadows and windows;
    - I want to use *both* properly exposed highlights, that I can see on ISO200 and lowlights, that are nicely exposed on ISO800;

So, the question is - how can I merge those two areas in one? Whenever I throw in a parallel node, and change ISO setting on one, it gets changed on second as well. Is there a technique in Resolve for such a exposure bracketing?

Thanks,
    N<

If you check the box under the RAW tab called "Save with Version," it'll treat that instance of the raw clip as its own standalone clip with its own unique raw settings.

Edit: Wait, you mean you're dealing with a single clip? Set it to 400 and bring up the shadows and lower the highlights, then. Blending two instances of the exact same raw clip at different ISO's doesn't make much sense because it doesn't gain you anything. Now, if you had two clips where one had the aperture closed down, you could theoretically blend the two and benefit from the increased dynamic range.
    Last edited by LochnessDigital; 12-14-2016 at 03:32 AM.
    Aaron Lochert

Thanks for quick reply Aaron.

Yeah, my intent was to use to blend different ISO of single clip, to get properly exposed highlights from low ISO and shadows from high ISO.

Do I got you right, and I can basically achieve the same result just with HSL qualificators / powerwindows with two nodes, one for highlights and other for shadows? I was under impression, that selecting ISO in Camera Raw section actually reveals details, that otherwise cannot be seen with Primaries or any other controls.

Thanks,
    NM

that selecting ISO in Camera Raw section actually reveals details, that otherwise cannot be seen with Primaries or any other controls.
    using ACES scene refered with RAW gives you everything that is on the sensor in lnear light, no diffrence between adjsuting exposure in a RAW panel and adjsuting in the gradeing tools, math is identical, that's very diffrent from working in YRGB/display refered tho, then yes, you have to do the adjustmens before converting scene to display

another way with vastly cleaner math is to set your project to ACEScc, if you have RAW then the IDT is set to linear light, and set your ODT to 709, your are then in Scene Refered workspace, and have control over exposure independantly in each node, by using printer light option you also get accurate feedback on changes in stops

luma key between layers, not as easy as it sounds to have it look natural tho.

i probbaly did this 100 times today alone, in my case working with ArriRAW, it's a good way to play with highlight detail, and keep the shot feeling natural, i have a powegrade built for this with luma key and master offset turned down about 1.5 stops (offset = resolve speak for exposure / stops)

i'm far less likely to use the same tricks in shadows tho, less to be gained from the time spent, if i do i normaly combine it with noise redutcion ( i have a powergrade built for this as well, just don't use it very often)
    Last edited by dermot shane; 12-15-2016 at 02:41 AM.

Wow, that`s really blackmagic! Thanks for such an insight, Dermot!

BMDFilm to Linear > Empty Node > Linear to BMDFilm. On that middle node, adjust Gain. One stop is double or half the previous stop. So a Gain of 2 is +1 stop. A Gain of .25 is -2 stops. You can use parallel nodes to apply this to a power window.