Thread: Optar Illumina S16 16mm Test

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Finally done test of my focus shift problem. OPTAR 16mm @T1.3 and @Т2 and vintage OKS3-15-1 @ T2 for compare. Lens located about 50cm to the chart. DIY printed chart is A3 size. Lines smaller than 12 are printed with shifts and random mess so don't perceive it as perfect test example.
    Also from these tests you can see how Mosaic OLPF works.
    Videos and still frames can be found here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/smc9ocrvm...XWLfZXoMa?dl=0

Last edited by shijan; 12-16-2016 at 12:22 PM.

May be pl/arri b adapter problem. If this is not seen on other lenses than this lens is defect

Quote Originally Posted by Truemotion View Post
    May be pl/arri b adapter problem. If this is not seen on other lenses than this lens is defect
    it can't be adapter. i measure it from all sides with precise tools and it is perfectly uniform. The lens sits in the adapter without any shifts. Also when i flip the lens to 180 degree in the adapter the mismatched focus effect also flips to another side.

Then the lens is de-centered.

Yes Kroaton, I do, send me a PM with your email address and I can send them to you. I shot the 16mm, and 25mm Illumina on the PenF, along with the Zeiss 9.5 and 12mm for comparison. The Illumina projected image was larger. The Illimina 16mm and up will cover the BMCC with over projection (the 16mm useable projection, will be just slightly larger around .5mm than the sensor).
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kroaton View Post
    Danny, do you still have any pictures taken with the Optars and the Pen F?

I'm thinking of getting an 8-16mm lens set for my BMPCC and BMCC, but I can't tell if a clean 2.35/2.40 extract would be possible on the BMCC without seeing how much the lenses project past specification.
    I made some rough drawings based on the BMCC sensor size and the lens circle sizes provided by Lumatech, and it looks like the corner coverage/sharpeness depends entirely on lens overprojection.

http://imgur.com/a/AcfzY

If anyone is interested, I still have a 50mm for sale.

If anyone interested there are Optar S16 optical schemes extracted from KMZ catalog. I don't remember the source where i download this catalog, but it archived here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/we87g00n7s...logii.doc?dl=0
    Wonder if someone can find how they compare to Zeiss optical schemes.

Optar 8mm (Angle of view 84)
    OPTAR 8mm.png

Optar 9.5mm (Angle of view 7530')
    OPTAR 9.5mm.png

Optar 12mm (Angle of view 6216')
    OPTAR 12mm.png

Optar 16mm (Angle of view 48)
    OPTAR 16mm.png

Optar 25mm (Angle of view 2155')
    OPTAR 25mm.png

Optar 50mm (Angle of view 2155' ???seems mistake in catalog???)
    OPTAR 50mm.png
    Last edited by shijan; 12-23-2016 at 06:14 PM.

From what I have discovered in my Illumina research, the lens optical design is basically a copy of the Zeiss S16 and S35 Distagon and Planar (35/50mm) lens designs, with only some minor changes.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 12-23-2016 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    From what I have discovered in my Illumina research, the lens optical design is basically a copy of the Zeiss S16 and S35 Distagon and Planar (35/50mm) lens designs, with only some minor changes.
    Cheers
    But the optics size are really not the same... Comparing them Zeiss is always bigger, as shown in the picture (both 12mm focal, same 80mm external front).12mm.jpg

Yes, an optical design copy does not necessarily mean an exact copy. The Illumina and Elite S16 lenses have smaller front lens (and probably some of the internal) optical elements, and except for the 8 and 9.5mm, have smaller projected image circles also. The design has been tweaked to allow for these changes. Another basic Zeiss design has been copied in a lot of different implementations, the late 19th Century simple Tessar design, which has been copied by many lens makers in the 20th Century, both in thenUSA, Japan and Russsia. You can change and imporve a design by the way you shape the individual elements, but still have the same basic design with respect to the number and type of optical elements.

So, obviously, they do differ in some respect, another difference Howie pointed out is the Iris also, with the Zeiss lens having a 3-blade arrangement and the Illumina design with more traditional multi-blade design, with an almost round Iris opening, instead of the Zeiss teiangle. Similar in many ways yes, but different in others. The Zeiss also has the better coatings on their newer lenses, including the MK2 and Mk3 Super Speeds. They also have a slight,y different IQ, with the Illuminas favoring a warmer, a Angenieux like image, while the Zeiss a little cooler technical look.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 12-25-2016 at 02:13 AM.