Thread: Optar Illumina S16 16mm Test

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    For single lenses in PL mount the going rate is typically $800-1200, you can pick them up a little cheaper if you buy a set which is true of most lenses.

Dan Kanes is offering a set here for $4800 bucks which is a pretty solid deal, especially if they don't need any work. http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...optar+illumina
    Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Yes, older lenses will need to be serviced before using them to avoid any damage. I just tested the Veydra Mini Primes against both the Zeiss and Illumina SS, the later two were about the same, as Howie said, dampened, but the focus Ring turns easily. The Veydra's are more dampened, and turn a little stiffer than the Super Speeds. That said, all of them work well on a follow focus.
    Cheers
    How did the Veydras hold up against the Optars?

Also, has anyone tested the Optars on the BMCC?

I've read that they should cover from the 16mm up but that the converge is not as good as on the Zeiss Superspeeds.

The Optars actually project a slightly larger image circle than the Zeiss Super Speeds on the 8mm, 9.5mm , then at 16mm to 35mm the Zeiss have a slightly larger image circle, which will just cover the BMCC sensor, until the Zeiss 50mm Planar, which will cover the Academy 35 Cine full gate. The 25-50mm lenses from both may give acceptable coverage of the BMCC sensor. A better choice, that does not require an adapter would be the Veydra Mini Primes, which will cover the BMCC sensor with room to spare, and will work on the MFT version of the BMCC, and have a similar IQ to the Zeiss Ultra Prime series, but slightly warmer like the Illumina Optars, which I prefer on the Cinema sensor.

Also Veydra's are more readily available, and you can get a new lens for less than you would pay for a used Super 16 lens. If I was shooting on the BMCC, I would pick the Veydra Mini Primes.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 12-15-2016 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    The Optars actually project a slightly larger image circle than the Zeiss Super Speeds on the 8mm, 9.5mm , then at 16mm to 35mm they are both close until the Zeiss 50mm Planar, which will cover the Academy 35 Cine full gate. The 25-50mm lenses from both may give acceptable coverage of the BMCC sensor. A better choice, that does not require an adapter would be the Veydra Mini Primes, which will cover the BMCC sensor with room to spare, and will work on the MFT version of the BMCC, and have a similar IQ to the Zeiss Ultra Prime series, but slightly warmer like the Illumina Optars, which I prefer on the Cinema sensor.

Also Veydra's are more readily available, and you can get a new lens for less than you would pay for a used Super 16 lens. If I was shooting on the BMCC, I would pick the Veydra Mini Primes.
    Cheers
    Veydra is nice but don't forget that it is not T1.2 lens. Prices for Optars are very random. Some sales on ebay for $1200, some sales directly in Zenit (KMZ) factory in Krasnogorsk for $550 but they don't ship worldwide. There are also more expensive and rare modifications manufactured by Lumatech (formal LOMO factory department) http://www.lumatechinc.com but seems they also cancel production of S16 lenses long time ago.

The Luma Tech versions and the JSC Optica versions of these lenses were practically identical. JSC Optica now Optica Elite http://www.optica-elite.com looks to still be producing S16 lenses but they're a few iterations beyond the Luma Tech versions at this point.

Panther Cinar is another company that makes a couple S16 primes. They make an 8mm and a 35mm that are more like the mkiii superspeeds and likely designed to fill out the gaps in that line.

I just ordered the 16mm PL Illumina (only one I didn't own) new from ruscamera on ebay for $1050, I'll report back when I get it and let you all know it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    The Luma Tech versions and the JSC Optica versions of these lenses were practically identical. JSC Optica now Optica Elite http://www.optica-elite.com looks to still be producing S16 lenses but they're a few iterations beyond the Luma Tech versions at this point.

Panther Cinar is another company that makes a couple S16 primes. They make an 8mm and a 35mm that are more like the mkiii superspeeds and likely designed to fill out the gaps in that line.

I just ordered the 16mm PL Illumina (only one I didn't own) new from ruscamera on ebay for $1050, I'll report back when I get it and let you all know it turned out.
    Yep, seems i mismatched Lumatech and Optica-Elite.

Also in one rental house i saw few super wide angle Optars. Kind of rare or experimental samples.
    Elite 4.5 mm (fish eye) T2.2
    Elite 6,6 mm T1.3
    Elite 7 mm T1.3
    Elite 8 mm T1.3
    elite16mm.jpg

Done one more test - 16 mm Optar can hold without vignetting up to 3 77mm filters + filter adapter ring.
    Wonder if anyone have any info or tests how many 77mm filters (including empty filter adapter ring) can hold 12, 9.5 and maybe 8 mm Optars without vignetting on BMPCC/BMMCC sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Yep, seems i mismatched Lumatech and Optica-Elite.

Also in one rental house i saw few super wide angle Optars. Kind of rare or experimental samples.
    Elite 4.5 mm (fish eye) T2.2
    Elite 6,6 mm T1.3
    Elite 7 mm T1.3
    Elite 8 mm T1.3
    elite16mm.jpg
    Yeah, those are the lenses that Optica Elite released after the JSC Optica iteration, kind of a MKIII but I don't know that they were ever referred to as such. That's the line between the illuminas and the currrent MKIV lenses.

Here's a graphic that I took from the ruscamera ebay site that shows the coverage for their lenses if anyone is interested.

sensor_optar.jpg