Thread: Optar Illumina S16 16mm Test

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Optar Illumina S16 16mm Test 
    Earlier i tested few vintage OKS 16mm lenses here http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?17...ested-on-BMMCC and now one more lens test here. This time it is Optar Illumina S16 16mm lens. Its a Zeiss copy made somewhere in early 2000 in Zenit factory in russia in collaboration with US developers. The manufacture of those lenses stopped some years ago and all you can get is a last samples from factory storage.
    The lens is rather heavy. Smooth focusing. First time it feels stiff but later you start to understand that it is not stiff but just don't suited for very fast focus pulling. It has few very thin adjustment shims placed between rear mount and lens body. The focus ring was rather prickly so i decide to cover it with rubber ring pad. The lens have no front filter thread, but i mount there with self-adhesive tape empty 77 mm filter ring from disassembled cheap filter. Fits perfect. Overall build quality is very nice but on my sample rear part was screwed very lightly (maybe it was done for storage purposes) so i need to tight it by myself more secure. Also for unknown reason one of the screws was just glued to its hole because thread was broken. Hmm, quality control with vodka and balalaika...

Images shot in RAW on BMMCC with Mosaic OLPF installed.
    To fix possible Cross Hatching effect image XY transform was set to 0.5.
    The lens itself shot on Yashica 28mm lens.
    Processed in DaVinci Resolve with custom LUT generated with LUTCalc (Gamma: Cineon to Amira709, Color Gamut: REC2020 to Alexa-X-2. https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCa...alc/index.html

Flare Test:

T1.3

T2

T2.8

T4

T5.6

T8

T11

T16

and at closer distance:

T1.3

T2

T2.8

T4

T5.6

T8

T11

T16

more tests coming soon...
    Last edited by shijan; 05-04-2017 at 11:10 AM.

These are great lenses. The flares are kind of Lucky Charms as in you get a handful of different shapes and colors. Some of them have a Cooke style iris so you get ninja stars in addition to the octagons. I prefer them to the superspeeds because they have an 8mm and a 9.5mm that cover S16 and the triangular aperture of the mkii and mkiiis is pretty lame.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    These are great lenses. The flares are kind of Lucky Charms as in you get a handful of different shapes and colors. Some of them have a Cooke style iris so you get ninja stars in addition to the octagons. I prefer them to the superspeeds because they have an 8mm and a 9.5mm that cover S16 and the triangular aperture of the mkii and mkiiis is pretty lame.

Thanks for sharing.
    Yes, i like this flare look too. Wonder how the focusing ring feels on other samples and how it compare to Zeiss or Veydra. Are you use few of them? Is the focusing stiffness equal or different from lens to lens?

Thank you for this test .

I have the Optar 8mm T1.3, which complement perfectly my Zeiss HS mk1 set. It's even a little warmer which excellent sharpness and low distorsion. The only unacceptable was the focus stiff ring... Very easy to fix it (removing all the original grease) if you are handyman.

I have both the 16mm and 25mm, and focus ring is same as the Zeiss Super Speeds (9.5 and 12mm) but all were recently CLAd, new lenses from storage will be stiff, and need to be cleaned and re-lived, the old grease is making the focus stiff. Once serviced, these are excellent lenses. CinemaTechnic in LA offers service for the Optars and Zeiss Super Speeds. Duclos in LA only Services the Xeiss Super Speeds, and other Cine lenses, but not the Optars.

The Zeiss 9.5 Mk2/3 have a 14.5"" image circle, which will just cover the BMPCC/Micro Cinema camera sensor, as it is slightly smaller than the S16 film gate, the 9.5, which it just did manage to barly cover. The 9.5 image circle is smaller than the 12, which has a 16.5 mm image circle, so it has less fall,off st the edges, both tested on a MFT sensor to compare the projected image circle). The Optars have a projected image circle larger than 15.xmm image circle, and edge sharpness is improved over the Zeiss lenses.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 12-13-2016 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lluiscl View Post
    I have the Optar 8mm T1.3, which complement perfectly my Zeiss HS mk1 set. It's even a little warmer which excellent sharpness and low distorsion. The only unacceptable was the focus stiff ring... Very easy to fix it (removing all the original grease) if you are handyman.
    I have some experience with this (i disassemble OKS lenses before and put a Helimax XP grease into them which makes them focusing very easy by one finger) but don't like to disassemble the lens without knowing the correct workflow. Wonder if you have any tutorial or photos in which way to to disassemble that lens?
    When i unscrewed rear mount part of the lens i find there only a screw which is limiting a focusing rotation. Is it possible that i just need to unscrew it and then unscrew the helicoid itself?

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Yes, i like this flare look too. Wonder how the focusing ring feels on other samples and how it compare to Zeiss or Veydra. Are you use few of them? Is the focusing stiffness equal or different from lens to lens?
    I've got a set or them and they're all pretty similar, well dampened but not stiff. The movement is pretty similar to my mkiii, definitely not a 1 finger focus. "Vintage" lenses are a mixed bag sometimes sitting in a box for a decade can be harder on a lens than daily use.

Yes, older lenses will need to be serviced before using them to avoid any damage. I just tested the Veydra Mini Primes against both the Zeiss and Illumina SS, the later two were about the same, as Howie said, dampened, but the focus Ring turns easily. The Veydra's are more dampened, and turn a little stiffer than the Super Speeds. That said, all of them work well on a follow focus.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    I have some experience with this (i disassemble OKS lenses before and put a Helimax XP grease into them which makes them focusing very easy by one finger) but don't like to disassemble the lens without knowing the correct workflow. Wonder if you have any tutorial or photos in which way to to disassemble that lens?
    When i unscrewed rear mount part of the lens i find there only a screw which is limiting a focusing rotation. Is it possible that i just need to unscrew it and then unscrew the helicoid itself?
    But you need to clean all helicoids. If I remember correctly after disassemble the rear mount you'll find the two central guides... You need to remove them (both with two screws) and unscrew the focus ring, which contains two parts screwed...(with the screw that you mention which limits the focus range). You need to remove it and unscrew both parts and clean both helicoids and later do the same with the central helicoids... Of course is PRIMORDIAL to mark everything (some helicoids can have different entry points) and leave everything at the same point when you assemble it.
    All the best