Thread: Culling footage before giving to an editor

1. #1 Culling footage before giving to an editor 
    Hi, I have a project I am working on with a good editor I have worked with in the past. This project is a bit budget restricted, so I would like to give my editor just the best parts of my footage to speed things up and save on his time.

In the past I have just given him a whole pile of footage, he has transcoded it and used Avid to cull it himself and edit the files.

How can I cull my footage? I have shot some footage with my ursa mini, some with my sony and some with my inspire x5 drone. If I edit it down in - say - in resolve, i would need to output it into some other format? But I don't want to edit, just cull, and i would like to keep the footage in its original state.

How can I do this? didn't quicktime pro 7 do this? Or is there another good way to do this? (easy, as I don't want to learn anything too hard!)

Thanks Paul

Sounds like the most universal method would be exporting the EDL. Give them that along with the footage.

Alternatively if you are working with BMD RAW - I was told that Resolve can re-export your culled footage as RAW files again. I've never tried it though.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Sounds like the most universal method would be exporting the EDL. Give them that along with the footage.

Alternatively if you are working with BMD RAW - I was told that Resolve can re-export your culled footage as RAW files again. I've never tried it though.
    thanks for this. i really don't know much about EDL's, although I know that is what my editor edits with.
    I will do some reading and run a test with him. So could I edit/ cull the EDL in another program like resolve and give that to him to edit in AVID?

Cheers Paul