Thread: SBUS controller for BMD Micro Cameras - available now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hi,

I use CAT 6 solid core ethernet cable for the latest version of my device and that works fine(at least at short lengths) for carrying the 12V to camera. Maybe try something like that instead of just data cable ?

Steve

Thanks Steve, how long cables have you tested?

On the data cable the power lost is probably less than on ethernet cable. Still it is pretty thin. There is two things I am worried about. Voltage drop (voltage going below 12 V at camera end) and voltage spikes when connecting power. For my own use I would not be that worried, but when selling it for someone like to be sure that the solution will not cause problems. I wrote BMD about it and hopefully know more about it next week.
    LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Hi,

admittedly not that long(10cm). As my device sits on the camera and all controls are on the phone the cable doesn't have to be that long. I chose solid core ethernet cable for 2 reasons, it could be bent into shape to fit it around camera/gimbal, and for transferring power it should be better than multi strand cable.

box.jpg

(box is much bigger than it needs to be, just whatever local electronics shop had)

My first version just used basic solid core engineering wire and that worked fine for power, multi plugging in and unplugging power without issue.

I'm also guessing that the camera must have some kind of basic spike protection because of way it automatically powers on as soon as power comes in via the expansion port(though don't take that as gospel).

Steve

The Controller with the attachment point. The 1/4"-20 camera thread goes trough the box and is on aluminium.

Controller.jpg

The connector and cable choices.

Connectors.jpg

I recommend the metal shell, it is much better quality, but heavy. The metal shell overall dimensions with the attachment screws is actually smaller.

If camera power cable is not needed, black round rubber feeling cable is available.

Some updated pictures. Waiting still some parts that should arrive during this week.

If you want one, now is good time to contact me ( http://www.levitezer.com/styled/ ). I will have parts for few more than currently ordered.

LeViteZer SBUS controller.jpg

LeViteZer SBUS Controller 2.jpg

Sorry for the delays, I have everything but the micro controllers, they where ordered long time ago and Nord post lost them

Now they seem to be found and finally on their way, so hopefully I have them at start of next week and can start shipping the controllers.

The good thing about the delays with the parts was that I had nothing else to do last weekend than build a Micro Camera Rig . Still need to get a microphone, think of getting Rode VideoMicro and also it will get support for SpeedBooster.

And the good news is that I should have the micro controllers waiting at office.
    Attached Images

8. #18 The Rig 

After some tough, there will be 2 cabling options. The black cable on the picture is silicone cable used on Weller soldering stations. It is very nice high quality cable if you know exactly the cable length you want. It can not be folded like the red cable. The red cable is recommended for gimbals as it will resist the movement less than the black cable.

Over all I would recommend the red cable unless you really know the single installation where you want to use it and the exact cable length, like the handle installation on the pictures, but even then the red cable can be folded nicely.

Both cables are very durable, but the red cabe colour will wear on use, it is kind of paint on top of the class fibre fabric. if it is important for you that it will look good after many years of use, then the black cable may be better.
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (88.1 KB, 89 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (80.2 KB, 86 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (82.3 KB, 89 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (80.3 KB, 86 views)

Configuring the camera SBUS channels for the layout on the picture. Focus is on potentiometer and Rec on the red button.

Note 1. Audiolevels seem to adjust only internal microphone levels, I did not find how to adjust external microphone level with the SBUS.

Note 2. after camera startup Audio levels (MIC) and f-stop (F) are 50% level. they need to be adjusted after power on.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Kim; 01-06-2017 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Picture added