Thread: SBUS controller for BMD Micro Cameras - available now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 SBUS controller for BMD Micro Cameras - available now 
    LeViteZer SBUS controller for BMD Micro cameras. It controls all SBUS controllable functionalities.

LeViteZer SBUS contrioller.jpg

More about it in here http://www.levitezer.com/blog/

Edit:

Note: the basic version works only with BMMCC. The BMMSC requires external power. The BMMSC version will work with both cameras and provide power to the camera.
    Last edited by Kim; 01-25-2017 at 02:13 AM.
    LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Wow - great development for the Micro. Any chance of a more compact connector?

[QUOTE=Ben;226447Any chance of a more compact connector?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding - the cable is bigger than the camera... I am an advocate for Phil's controller (I don't know Phil, never heard of him before three months ago, but his box has vitalized my Micro)... I heard from him recently and he also is developing one with a knob for other control functions... The cable on his is in keeping with the diminutive size of the camera...

Maybe, how big the connector looks, just demonstrates how small the controller is

But seriously, yes it is big. It is difficult to find good shells for D15 connector. I have also a plastic one that is somewhat smaller and much lighter and I have hand build some very small ones using epoxy, but they do not look that great.

I will build some units during the weekend and provide pictures of the alternatives.

The good thing of this connector is that it is very solid and somewhat protects also the HDMI cable.

expansion-port.jpg

Looks great. What does the 'AUD' control, Kim? Is it the input level to the mic input?

Thanks, yes AUD is for audio level.

It is possible to assign F (f-stop) and AUD (mic level, maybe it should be labeled MIC) and the potentiometer as the user likes. i.e f-stop could be assigned for potentiometer and focus for Switch F etc. This is done by selecting the SBUS channels from the camera menu.

It is also possible to change the WB, Zoom, SA and ISO positions.

I am planing to make a sticker so that it looks nicer, that is for the default positions as on the picture. Could maybe do couple of sticker with different layouts.

Please post if you have proposals for the sticker labelling an layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Looks great. What does the 'AUD' control, Kim? Is it the input level to the mic input?

You might consider keeping focus, audio level and WB on the pot, and assign the Zoom, SA, and ISO to the switch, since SA and ISO are not changed that much in most situations.
    Cheers

The current Micro Camera SBUS implementation does not support WB on pot. it is up and down control only.

When the switch next to REC is on down position, the two other switches control proportional channels, like the potentiometer. Mic, f-stop and Focus can be assigned to these proportional channels in any order.

When the switch next to REC is in Up or Middle position, the two other switches are UP/DOWN control and can control SA, WB, ISO, ZOOM. these can be assigned in any order.

The functionalities must stay in these two groups (proportional control and UP/DOWN control) but can be freely assigned within them using the camera remote control menu.

To explain the difference of UP/DOWN and proportional control.

1. UP/DOWN control can be operated only with the switches. At center they send SBUS level 1024, UP level is 2047 and DOWN level 0. SA, WB and ISO use this kind of control method.

ZOOM is a bit different. For ZOOM SBUS level 1024 means no zooming. SBUS level 2047 means Zoom full speed out, SBUS level 0 full speed in. ZOOM could utilize also levels between these full speeds, but that would require a centering potentiometer. There is only few lenses with electrical Zoom. If someone needs better zoom control, I can provide it, but it will not fit on this box.

2. Proportional control is the potentiometer control, any SBUS level between 0 and 2047 can be selected using the potentiometer. When the switch next to REC is on DOWN position, the 2 other switches controls proportional SBUS channels. Pressing the switch up and the SBUS level raises at preprogramed speed and pressing down decreases.

I hope this explanation clarifies more than confuses

I will post couple of alternative sticker layout at start of next week.

Now it is time to do some holes and treads to the boxes and some cable designs. I will post pictures later on this weekend.

Double post removed
    Last edited by Kim; 12-03-2016 at 05:56 AM.

There has been some request about extension cables. I just tested 14 m (46 feet) custombuild cable and and I am happy to say it works just fine. It is a shielded cable so should not be very sensitive for external interference. I can provide up-to 10 m (33 feet) extension cable.

Extension cable.jpg

Note: I requested from BMD if a VGA extension cable could be used and this is the reply “No it will not work and it is not recommended. The cables short together the connector case and pins 4,5,6,7,8 and 11, all of which are GND in a VGA environment. That will short input power(pin6) to GND.”

Note 2: The Custom build cable connects only the controller and provides power from camera to the controller, but can not provide power to camera. Camera power extension would require different arrangement, thin data cable can not transfer the required power to power the camera for long distances, a separate power cabling is required. I am looking into it.
    Last edited by Kim; 12-03-2016 at 05:30 AM.