Thread: Handheld Gimbal + Monitor

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tmronin View Post
    hi! Yep! I'm one of their beta testers. I use it with Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere daily. I don't use Resolve day to day but the Palette team is really hands on and I think Resolve is in the pipeline for the app in the future. (I'm pushing for Adobe Camera RAW as their next application for development). Reach out and ask: support@palettegear.com - that's the general address and will be answered by someone who can answer questions.

Will not lie, I LOVE my system (I was kickstarter backer and really fell in love with it) and pretty much use it anytime my laptop is open (hell, I get mad if I am unable to use it while editing - it saves my bacon when I am editing event images on-site.)
    Thanks mate. I shall reach out to them. I think he product is promising too. I'm willing to beta test it for them on Resolve if they are interested.

I've been lusting after the Zhiyun Crane for my RX100. I'd like a gimbal that I could use for both my RX100 and BMCC, but I think the BMCC might be too heavy. The camera itself is just under the limit, but a lens might push it over. Also, the camera body might be too large. Anyone tried a BMCC with it?

Awesome to see people mounting monitors on it!

I'll try.

Thanks, Nomad. Really appreciate it.

The setup I'll be running is a naked BMCC with BMCC Metabones Speedbooster and Sigma 18-35. It's a pretty heavy setup. Even if the motors could handle it for a short period of time, I'm not sure if the BMCC body would even fit.

The camera is on set until Wednesday, it seems.

But using it with the Sigma 18-35 is probably stressing it anyway. Can you tell me the weight of that lens with the SB? Our BMCC has EF mount, but I'll try to find a similar weight.

No rush, you're doing us a favor.

Speedbooster: 177g
    Sigma 18-35: 810g
    BMCC: 1500g

That's certainly over the 1800g limit. No pressure to try it if you don't feel comfortable with it.

The BMCC is too big and too heavy for almost every single SINGLE-HANDLED gimbal. Certainly all the ones I am aware of.

Also - the Sigma 18-35mm cannot fly on a single-handled gimbal either. It is too heavy and too long, especially with the added length of the Speedbooster.
    I have a Beholder DS-1 and it has one of the higher maximum payload capacities, but it still doesn't even come close to balancing a Pocket with the Sigma because of where the center of gravity is. I am not aware of ANY single-handled gimbal that allows the camera to be slid BACK far enough to balance that setup.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Good to know! Seems like you need something like a Ronin.

I love the BMCC, but the size of it in 2017 is awkward. Too small to toss up on your shoulder without a rig (like you can do with the URSA Mini) and too big for a lightweight setup. I'm realizing more and more that the key for me to shoot a lot of video is a quick, lightweight setup and not having a ton of gear to carry. I went through this exercise with photography, and wound up taking so many photos last year!

To get back on topic, being able to have a light weight setup you can hold with one hand, including camera, lens, and monitor on a gimbal, sounds like a dream. Would love to see what Zac and everyone on this thread comes up with. I may go with mounting my RX100 on a Zhiyun Crane for now.

There's another reason why it won't work: even if you'd stay within the weight limit, moving too much weight off the center to both sides – BMCC on one side, Sigma to the other – will be too much rotational inertia and definitely stress the motors. Think of a dancer controlling a pirouette or an astronaut in zero-G.

The weight of the whole unit won't be too much of a problem, Zhiyun is offering handles.

I'll try the BMCC with a very light lens, though.

sorry to sidetrack - just spoke to my contact at Palette and Resolve is on the list - some users are having success with straight keyboard mapping but they (Palette) would like deeper integration (color wheel control, etc) . they need to get up with Black Magic for a official plug-in for the Palette. So, it's on the roadmap. I told them that this would be the place for finding people to test/use palette in a work enviroment.

ok, back to gimbals...still loving my EC-1