Thread: Handheld Gimbal + Monitor

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    Just picked up the Zhiyun Crane for my BMMCC. I put the Tokina 11-16mm on it. Handles really well even with a near 1300g payload. Haven't tried the v1.50 firmware yet but very happy thus far.

Zak....were you buying Christmas presents for yourself again??!!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

The Z Crane looks pretty sweet with a BMMCC...think its gonna have to be a New Years resolution!

It works very well for me, both with a minimal config of BMPCC and Panasonic lens as with a heavy Sony A7R II and a massive Minolta 21mm f2,8 plus adapter.

Folks, sorry to sidetrack this thread but I notice something on tmronin's pics and just have to ask him.

@tmronin, it that a Palette control surface next to your laptop? Are you using it with Resolve? If so, please PM me as I'm interested in getting one for use with Resolve but hesitated since I cannot find any info if it fully supports it. Thanks!

Back to the regular programming...

So I just weighed my setup which includes:

BMMCC 11 oz
    Wooden Camera cage 7 oz
    LP-E6N battery 3 oz
    Veydra 16mm 19.5 oz
    77mm Hoya IR/UV Cut 4 oz
    77mm SLR Magic Variable ND 8 oz

That comes to a total of 52.5 oz or 3.28 lbs without taking into consideration the HDMI cable.

Seems to heavy for the Zhiyun and likely to front heavy. Zak what do you think?

I had used the Zhiyun a while back and it is nice as long as your total weight is ~2.5 lbs (or about 30 some ounces). 52.5 will be too heavy for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrington View Post

BMMCC 11 oz
    Wooden Camera cage 7 oz
    LP-E6N battery 3 oz
    Veydra 16mm 19.5 oz
    77mm Hoya IR/UV Cut 4 oz

That comes to a total of 52.5 oz or 3.28 lbs without taking into consideration the HDMI cable.

For a heavier payload try the firmware 1.50 5D RC2 - http://www.zhiyun-tech.com/index.php...tid=132&id=189

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrington View Post

BMMCC 11 oz
    Wooden Camera cage 7 oz
    LP-E6N battery 3 oz
    Veydra 16mm 19.5 oz
    77mm Hoya IR/UV Cut 4 oz

Firmware v1.52 lets you select 'weak', 'medium', or 'strong' for different payoad ranges. you make the adjustment in the ohone app. my guess is 'strong' is the same as firmware v1.50 which is for payloads from 1200g to 1800g. i've maxed it out to 4lbs and would say that the closer you get to the max, more the crucial it is that you balance it right. if you leave it too front heavy it will hold fine with fresh batteries but as they weaken, performance gets worse. again, that's only with a front heavy setup. if you balance it right, even at 4lbs, it performs as you'd expect. that's my experience after a couple days anyway.

Given you have some wiggle room on the weight still, you could add some weight to the back to get the balance right.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    Firmware v1.52 lets you select 'weak', 'medium', or 'strong' for different payoad ranges. you make the adjustment in the ohone app. my guess is 'strong' is the same as firmware v1.50 which is for payloads from 1200g to 1800g. i've maxed it out to 4lbs and would say that the closer you get to the max, more the crucial it is that you balance it right. if you leave it too front heavy it will hold fine with fresh batteries but as they weaken, performance gets worse. again, that's only with a front heavy setup. if you balance it right, even at 4lbs, it performs as you'd expect. that's my experience after a couple days anyway.

Given you have some wiggle room on the weight still, you could add some weight to the back to get the balance right.
    Thanks Zak.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Folks, sorry to sidetrack this thread but I notice something on tmronin's pics and just have to ask him.

@tmronin, it that a Palette control surface next to your laptop? Are you using it with Resolve? If so, please PM me as I'm interested in getting one for use with Resolve but hesitated since I cannot find any info if it fully supports it. Thanks!

Back to the regular programming...
    hi! Yep! I'm one of their beta testers. I use it with Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere daily. I don't use Resolve day to day but the Palette team is really hands on and I think Resolve is in the pipeline for the app in the future. (I'm pushing for Adobe Camera RAW as their next application for development). Reach out and ask: support@palettegear.com - that's the general address and will be answered by someone who can answer questions.

Will not lie, I LOVE my system (I was kickstarter backer and really fell in love with it) and pretty much use it anytime my laptop is open (hell, I get mad if I am unable to use it while editing - it saves my bacon when I am editing event images on-site.)