Thread: Handheld Gimbal + Monitor

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Handheld Gimbal + Monitor 
    Is anyone using a monitor attached to their gimbal?
    I'm assuming its feasible to attach a lightweight monitor to a 3 axis handheld gimbal...perhaps using the screw thread at the bottom of the handle for instance.
    Of course weight is a consideration here but there are options and if you are attaching to the handle the weight isn't on the motors.
    I would be interested to hear if you are.
    Thanks.

Hi! I use a Beholder EC-1 (formerly a DS-1) with a VA and BMMCC. I clamp the monitor to the add-on 2-handed grip section or magic arm to either the bottom (DS-1) or side mount (EC-1). I'm editing all day today, so I'll see if I can build up a couple rigs to show various ways of doing it.

here you go!

IMG_5884.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

How's it work? Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrington View Post
    How's it work? Any suggestions?
    oh! quite well. I like the Beholder stuff - it packs small and does the job without too much fuss. there's a bunch of stuff on my Vimeo channel shot with my DS-1. The EC-1 is awesome because I can balance my Micro a bit more back in the QR and use my Zipbox with my 4x4 HBM. I like that I can record from the VA and not have to fumble with the rec button on the Micro.

I chatted on Sunday at New Jersey Comic Expo with a shooter using a Zhiyun Crane/BMPCC combo and he liked it and it looked easy to use. I like the idea of being able to keep my rig mostly ready to go in a bag, pull it out and be shooting in under 5min. I'm sure a bigger gimbal (Ronin sized or bigger) will give me way better footage, but it looks like work to travel, setup and babysit during a shoot.

My video stuff is usually alongside of still shooting, so I need something that I can set up quickly while chatting with my subject, be able to pick up between shots and grab footage as the shoot progresses.

LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Quote Originally Posted by tmronin View Post
    oh! quite well. I like the Beholder stuff - it packs small and does the job without too much fuss. there's a bunch of stuff on my Vimeo channel shot with my DS-1. The EC-1 is awesome because I can balance my Micro a bit more back in the QR and use my Zipbox with my 4x4 HBM. I like that I can record from the VA and not have to fumble with the rec button on the Micro.

I chatted on Sunday at New Jersey Comic Expo with a shooter using a Zhiyun Crane/BMPCC combo and he liked it and it looked easy to use. I like the idea of being able to keep my rig mostly ready to go in a bag, pull it out and be shooting in under 5min. I'm sure a bigger gimbal (Ronin sized or bigger) will give me way better footage, but it looks like work to travel, setup and babysit during a shoot.

My video stuff is usually alongside of still shooting, so I need something that I can set up quickly while chatting with my subject, be able to pick up between shots and grab footage as the shoot progresses.
    Super helpful . . . thanks.

I second the Zhiyun Crane Z1. It can hold much more than a Pocket, up to 1.2 kg and works flawlessly. You can mount a monitor to the thread in the handle, preferably with a magic arm.
    And why should a Ronin be better? If a gimbal works well and can handle your camera, it all comes down to practice.

The Zhiyun Crane can handle more weight with the firmware version 1.50 5D RC2 available....up to 1800g now, though the lower threshold is increased to 1200g.
    Version 1.51 for the 350g to 1200g range.
    Great to have the choice but it would be even better to have one firmware version to cover the 350g to 1800g range!

Just picked up the Zhiyun Crane for my BMMCC. I put the Tokina 11-16mm on it. Handles really well even with a near 1300g payload. Haven't tried the v1.50 firmware yet but very happy thus far.

DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO