Thread: Imac gave up the ghost (new computer advice)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Imac gave up the ghost (new computer advice) 
    So my old Imac finally died...but it put in great work since I bought it in 2011. But now I need to pickup something very quick so I can get back on track with some projects.

Since my last imac was a refurb, I'd assume go the same route....so which of these would you advise? I know nothing about graphics cards so I want to make sure I have something that can work nicely with 4.6k raw in resolve. My old imac was a bit under powered, but I was still able to work with 4k raw fine in resolve (just not playback at full speed).

I'll need to pull the trigger pretty quickly, so timely advice is much appreciated.

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 11.42.48 AM.jpg

And magically I was able to get my computer to boot up again. It shall be renamed Lazarus...

However it's likely not long for this world, so please advise!

Are you staying Mac? If so, your choices are pretty limited for 4K+ workflows.
    - Mac Pro (Trashcan). 8 Core probably the sweet spot between power and cost. Just have to be careful if you get a MP with D700s. Sometimes doesn't get along with Resolve. Haven't heard too much about D500s having these same issues so maybe that's a way to go.
    - iMac 5K 4ghz. I have this machine and overall it's great. However, I was disappointed when OWC's 64GB RAM upgrade didn't work properly and I also feel my machine has some gremlins. But overall, a solid machine for day to day tasks like editing, sound design/mixing, basic graphics work.
    - MBP. The new ones have some interesting new features, but you could probably get a refurbed previous generation for a lot less and not a huge hit in power. Just make sure to max it out if possible.
    - Mac Pro (Classic). You can get top of the line chipsets reasonably priced with upgrade possibilities. But - no Thunderbolt if that's a necessity for you.

That's about it for Mac and heavy lifting.

Thanks Steve...I think I'm staying mac if only for the 30tb of mac formatted hard drives I've already have stored!

I was planning to go imac and then upgrade the ram via OWC, as well as add another internal drive (osx on ssd, and then 3tb storage). Any reasoning why your OWC dimms failed?

The Trashcan is nice, but perhaps they are finally going to update them and I should wait?

Rob, until Apple releases the newer Mac Pro with TB3 and problem-free high end GPUs, when my iMac 27" 2.8GHz late 2009 started having weird graphics issues (just a few months after Apple discontinued even a replacement card), I went with a fully-maxed out iMac 5K 27" Retina 4.0 GHz with a TB of fast flash storage and a Pegasus2 R6 24TB Thundebolt2. A few months after I bought the Promise RAID, they announced a Thunderbolt3! And you can now get 2TB of very very fast flash storage! That's what I'd get now if you're staying in the Mac world.

Quote Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
    Thanks Steve...I think I'm staying mac if only for the 30tb of mac formatted hard drives I've already have stored!

I was planning to go imac and then upgrade the ram via OWC, as well as add another internal drive (osx on ssd, and then 3tb storage). Any reasoning why your OWC dimms failed?

The Trashcan is nice, but perhaps they are finally going to update them and I should wait?
    You should be good for up to 32GB RAM from OWC. I could not get 64GB RAM to work correctly even though they said the kit supported it. This is on a Late 2015 5K iMac 4GHZ. Maybe it was just my machine. Apple only officially supports 32GB. Maybe some machines handle the 64GB better than others, but even after swapping out another 64GB upgrade kit, never got it to work.

I would hold off as long as you can until you need another machine.

One other note, I bought my iMac in a rush from B&H for a job. I didn't realize the new iMacs don't have removable VESA, you have to order a specific version that has that feature. So if that's important to you, make sure to order the right one. I really needed that option but it was too late, needed the computer for the job so kept it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesherrick View Post
    - Mac Pro (Classic). You can get top of the line chipsets reasonably priced with upgrade possibilities. But - no Thunderbolt if that's a necessity for you.
    Doesn't anyone make TB add-in cards for the old Mac Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    Rob, until Apple releases the newer Mac Pro with TB3 and problem-free high end GPUs, when my iMac 27" 2.8GHz late 2009 started having weird graphics issues (just a few months after Apple discontinued even a replacement card), I went with a fully-maxed out iMac 5K 27" Retina 4.0 GHz with a TB of fast flash storage and a Pegasus2 R6 24TB Thundebolt2. A few months after I bought the Promise RAID, they announced a Thunderbolt3! And you can now get 2TB of very very fast flash storage! That's what I'd get now if you're staying in the Mac world.
    Hey Rick, I just went with the same iMac setup. I decided on 8 gigs of RAM though, as I thought I'd just upgrade it to 32 myself. I just saw this evening though that Apple has these absolutely insane 15 inch MacBook Pros with super-fast quad-core processors, 2TB of flash storage and a friggin'-screaming 4GB video card! $1200 to $1400 more than I paid for the iMac, but it's astonishing the power that they're packing into these laptops! Makes me feel a little like this powerful iMac that I just ordered is a bit inadequate...

Rob, the amount of RAM is not as important as the GPU card and VRAM it has. You can do well with a very performing GPU and 16gb of RAM or poorly with a 64gb of RAM and an underperformed GPU and not sufficient VRAM. Just keep that in mind. Also fast cache storage is just as important. This principle for DaVinci NLE applies to any type of computer (PC or Mac).

You know that on my 32GB iMac, Resolve does make use of that extra RAM. it really wants to have a minimum of 16GB, but if the system has 32GB, it uses the extra memory for cache and things do perform quite well. I suspect the latest iNac will perform very well for years to come. The latest is always the greatest, but we already know that. Be happy. You know there are huge changes coming in the next year or two that will make the current gear look dated. I won't spoil the surprise, but I wonder if that also figures in the timing of the newer Mac Pro--they just may be waiting until it can blow the socks off anything we have today.