Thread: Will the Olympus 12-100mm f/4.0 stabilization work on the BMPCC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Will the Olympus 12-100mm f/4.0 stabilization work on the BMPCC? 
    That'd be nice.

I do not see why not. But f/4.0 is a slow lens for indoor or low light shooting. Would be fine for outdoor situations with lots of light, like nature to sports photography where the long reach and large zoom range is needed. That said, the lens was designed for outdoor still photography, so not sure how effective the IS will be for video work, as this is ine of the first MFT lenses from Olympus with IS. Also this is a very large, heavy lens for MFT format, weighing in at more than 1lb, and is almost 5-inches long, with a 72mm front filter ring size. It rivals my Panny/Leica 14-50 Four Thirds zoom in size, but it only weighs 15 oz., and is a f/2.8-3.5, and has a 67mm front ring size. But again Cine lenss start at a 77/80mm frontnrong size. But a large lens like this on the Pocket, is kind of awkward on a small camera like the Pocket camera, and is anything but inconspicuous.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 11-09-2016 at 10:18 PM.

I know the limitations of the lens, thanks. I have the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100, so combining the two would be ideal for run-and-gun. The OIS on those lenses is a lifesaver, but I know that some Panasonic lenses don't actually have stabilization on the Pocket even if they're reported to have OIS. I'm pretty sure only the ones that are called "Power OIS" work. So that's why I ask.

OK, thanks. Yes, some Panny lenses do not work, mostly the ones that lack the IS on/off switch on the lens. The Oly 12-100 is a relatively new lens, and is still in a pre-order status on B&H, so I do not think it is even shipping yet, so I doubt if anyone has actually tested it on a Pocket camera. But, the lens does seem to have the IS on/off switch, like,the Panny lenses that do work, namely the two Pa my zooms you already have, and the Panny/Leica 42.5 Noct. and the Micro 45mm lenses, the later two I have personally tested. That said, some lens IS,only works when the Pocket camera is in record mode.

Looks like you will have to get the new Oly zoom lens to test, and let us know how it works.

Ah, I didn't even realize it hadn't been released yet. I guess I'll have to be patient.

I've been looking at this lens too, wondering about the IS. I saw a guy on YouTube shot some stuff on it with the Pocket, and I asked him the question... he replied

"Thank you for your comment. There is a part where the focus is shifted during zooming. Others have no problem."

Not sure exactly what that means. Here's his video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxppFFm1KJ8

The opening shots appear to be hand held, and the first one is at a tele setting, and I see no micro jitters, so I would say the IS is working. Also the next shots in the tram were at 12mmand other zoom settings, they also looked steady. The rest looks like it was shot in a tripod, so no IS there. He shows the rig in a tripod at the end. Looks like a promising lens for outdoor shooting, where you need a good zoom range, and f/4 to f/11 will work for documentation type or landscape shooting.

This could be an interesting lens, the onlymother len close to this is the new Zeiss LWZ 21-100 t/2.9, but this is a $10K lens, and no IS!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 12-10-2016 at 04:17 PM.

I asked more details to the YouTube user who posted a test, here is the reply I got "Thank you very much. I usually use a tripod in many cases, Olympus's 12-100 mm is very effective in BMPCC even with lens shake correction alone." Since it's probably filtered through google translate, I interpret it as "I mostly use my tripod, but the lense stabilization works very well when I don't". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxppFFm1KJ8

Dear all, I just go my hands on one today, and all I can say is that it works like a charm.

Great! Good to know, thanks for confirming this. How do you like the lens overall?
    Cheers