Thread: Using False color on marshall vlcd50 vs smalldp 501

1. #1 Using False color on marshall vlcd50 vs smalldp 501 
    I want to start using false color for getting my desired exposure for the bmpcc, and thanks to another thread here i think i have an idea of how that particular tool works.

Now i know the small hd is leagues above the Marshall vlcd50 and offers things like waveform, LUT support, etc but I am wondering about how the False Color tool differs between the two monitors. I plan on getting the smallHD 501 either way but hoping i can get away with a Marshall while i outfit my Arri Fresnels with Visionsmith's LED relamps.

What's your opinion on the marshall vlcd50? Looking to buy one used right now.

It's pretty good to be honest. While I definitely think the SmallHD blows it out of the water, the vlcd50 more than capable as an exposure tool. I oftenthink about selling mine, but always decide against it.

Quote Originally Posted by iwander View Post
    It's pretty good to be honest. While I definitely think the SmallHD blows it out of the water, the vlcd50 more than capable as an exposure tool. I oftenthink about selling mine, but always decide against it.
    I'm also looking to pick up a SmallHD monitor (the 702) soon for my BMPCC. One thing to note as far as others have mentioned on here, the SmallHD monitor's false color reading are pre-monitoring LUT and not post-monitoring LUT. Not a deal breaker, but I'm hoping that this is something that can be updated through firmware where they give you an option of where in the signal chain that the false color reading is taken.

For accurate exposure setting, You really want your exposure control/info to be pre LUT, otherwise, the LUT might adversely effect your exposure reading in the false color setting.
    DS