Thread: OLPFs for BMPCC and BMMCC - Mosaic & RawLite

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    both models now come with shim kits for the m43 mount I believe that will cure back-focus issues with all native lenses

on the last point in the thread there's a world of difference between designing a simple box with some buttons and a working OLPF!

Quote Originally Posted by Stelvis View Post
    both models now come with shim kits for the m43 mount I believe that will cure back-focus issues with all native lenses

on the last point in the thread there's a world of difference between designing a simple box with some buttons and a working OLPF!
    Of course you're correct, but it doesn't discount the possibility of a very talented individual creating something more complex without the help of an established company... It does happen - I had a friend in Pacific Grove, now deceased, Gary Kildall, who working alone in his backyard workshop developed the first OS for personal computers in the 1970's - I'm not defending Rawlite's contribution, because I have no idea of its effectiveness, but it would be good to hear from someone who has actually used the filter.

What I like about the proposed Moaic improvement is the way the filter mounts, and the actual full shim to set back focus... I hope they release this soon, rather than wait to also make available the internal NDs, which I'm sure are nice, but would be a PITA in an exterior working environment...

I was just about to go for the Rawlite when I saw the new video for the Mosaic V2 - looks much better installation wise, especially the new shim ring which looks less fiddly compared to the old version.

Interesting to see the comment about the new shim ring being a one time installation with no need to adjust the speedbooster, especially as I own a Tokina 11-16mm where the old version might introduce front focus issues and some field curvature? (have any other BMPCC / Tokina / Mosaic users experienced this?)

From what I've read here it seems the Rawlite has the edge sharpness-wise over the Mosaic v1, would be very interested to hear other users experiences with these filters and of course if Rawlite users have had any fornt focus issues as Rawlites shim method seems similar to the Mosaic v1.

Hope Mosaic post some info soon (if you're watching this thread!), damn though, thought this might be an early Christmas present to myself!

Quote Originally Posted by cristo View Post
    I was just about to go for the Rawlite when I saw the new video for the Mosaic V2 - looks much better installation wise, especially the new shim ring which looks less fiddly compared to the old version.

Interesting to see the comment about the new shim ring being a one time installation with no need to adjust the speedbooster, especially as I own a Tokina 11-16mm where the old version might introduce front focus issues and some field curvature? (have any other BMPCC / Tokina / Mosaic users experienced this?)

From what I've read here it seems the Rawlite has the edge sharpness-wise over the Mosaic v1, would be very interested to hear other users experiences with these filters and of course if Rawlite users have had any fornt focus issues as Rawlites shim method seems similar to the Mosaic v1.

Hope Mosaic post some info soon (if you're watching this thread!), damn though, thought this might be an early Christmas present to myself!
    I've got Rawlite filter on my BMMCC+EF speedbooster, after shimming the camera mount all the lenses seem to focus fine, although I think Tokina 11-16mm is still not doing very well on infinity, it might be just a slight adjustment that's needed.
    Regarding filter itself I think it does a good job removing moire, still ought to do a few more tests but a quick one I did with brick buildings and various fabrics proved hard to find any moire.

Well Ziggy, I want something that works with everything - as disappointed as I am with V1 of the Mosaic, I will wait for thier new product - although, to be honest, I dislike having to shell out another $400 to a company that should have got it right in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Well Ziggy, I want something that works with everything - as disappointed as I am with V1 of the Mosaic, I will wait for thier new product - although, to be honest, I dislike having to shell out another $400 to a company that should have got it right in the first place...
    Totally understand, I was thinking of waiting for Mosaic v2 as well, just got too inpatient and got Rawlite instead which from a few test videos online looked better than v1.
    Installing the filter was a bit nerve-racking, especially fitting in the rubber O ring back without rotating the filter itself or scratching it with the tweezers
    Speaking of tokina 11-16 infinity issue, I've just reinstalled the washers/spacers and it seems to be ok. I think on my first attempt spacers went under that thin metal component which messed up the shift.

I have the Mosaic v1 on my Pocket and the Rawlite on my Micro, both shimmed, both are good to remove moire with little loss in (apparent) sharpness that it can be totally recovered with post-sharpening, shimming is very accurate on the Mosaic and not so accurate on the Rawlite: the 0,50 washers are a bit too thin and the alternative 0,55 supplied are too thick, I solved painting the 0,50 with nail varnish.
    Installing the Rawlite is not nerve-racking, is literally a pain in the --s!!

Great to hear feedback from users here, especially those with both the Mosaic and the Rawlite.

From ziggys comments seems there might be issues with wider lenses (such as the Tokina) with the V1 versions of the filters, also Max's comments about having to varnish the shims with the Rawlite seem a bit to "homemade" when dealing with something thats inserted into the more delicate parts of the camera.

As keen as I am to tackle moire on my BMPCC, the best option for me is to wait for for the Mosaic V2 and see how that pans out, would be great if user post their real world examples here when that happens.

I've been using the Rawlite filter for a few months now and I haven't had an issue with moiré since! Now that I have the shim kit installed I'm extremely happy with it. I haven't noticed any focus issues on any of the wide lenses I own, either. Hans Hijmering is overall fantastic to deal with and is extremely helpful, too!

Shot with an Angenieux 9.5-57mm, this is a cropped, graded still that used to have tons of moiré before I installed the filter (Sorry, no before image) . Full size PNG here (~6mb).