Thread: OLPFs for BMPCC and BMMCC - Mosaic & RawLite

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    I've been monitoring this thread for a while to see how the installation of the v2 Mosaic had improved over the v1 (always seemed a bit fiddly) now the issue of the construction of the original cameras is thrown into the mix.

I'm definitely not competent enough mechanically or have the right tools to attempt this without potentially bricking my camera.

I guess Blackmagic wouldn't offer a service to install these filters, or would they? If an external company offered OPLF installation as a service I might go for it, but if not, I'll live with the moire

Only had one really bad case of moire anyway and managed to fix that in Nuke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    mmm this is very concerning. For those of us with a v2 ordered what would you say the best way to go about taking the screws out from what you've learnt Shijan?
    To unscrew screws use hex bit provided by Mosaic.
    Press it as hard as possible into the hex socket and same time turn it slowly and strongly. This is the way it works.
    Try to use hex bit holder with larger grip size. Hex bit holder bundled with Mosaic filter is ok, but smaller and less grippy than normal screwdriver handles.
    It is better to unscrew it from first attempt.
    I also recommend to use additional pad between hex bit and hex socket made from thin Nitrile glove.

P.S. Overall for those who don't have everyday experience with screwdrivers and mechanics i recommend entrust this operation to someone who works in repair industry and who knows and feels how to unscrew problematic screws.

Last edited by shijan; 09-11-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cristo View Post
    I've been monitoring this thread for a while to see how the installation of the v2 Mosaic had improved over the v1 (always seemed a bit fiddly) now the issue of the construction of the original cameras is thrown into the mix.

I'm definitely not competent enough mechanically or have the right tools to attempt this without potentially bricking my camera.

I guess Blackmagic wouldn't offer a service to install these filters, or would they? If an external company offered OPLF installation as a service I might go for it, but if not, I'll live with the moire

Only had one really bad case of moire anyway and managed to fix that in Nuke.
    You can just install OLPF filter and use it with any complicated unscrewing. Shim installation is optional and needed if you use speedbooster or parfocal zoom or lens wider than 10mm.

I do have a speedbooster and a Tokina 11-16mm (Mosaic website says shim is needed for lens under 20mm) so wouldn't be optional for me

Overall for those who don't have everyday experience with screwdrivers and mechanics i recommend entrust this operation to someone who works in repair industry and who knows and feels how to unscrew problematic screws.

And updated screws chart:

Last edited by shijan; 09-11-2017 at 09:34 AM.

To speedup things i search in local stores for screws today and find a M3 HEX screws with smaller cap height (1.65mm). What a surprise! Bring them to the lathe in nearest garage to manufacture replacement screws. That lathe is old and not too precise, so screws are usable but not too perfect. So this is temporary solution until replacement TORX screws from Mosaic will arrive.
    BTW TORX screws appears very rare and impossible to find in local stores yet.

Last edited by shijan; 09-16-2017 at 03:57 PM.

I assume removing the screws and mount even without damaging them would void the warranty right?

TORX isn't some new conspiracy.

They've been around for many many years. Like decades. They're generally chosen precisely BECAUSE they are more tamper proof to the average person. It's not THAT hard to find the drivers. Just don't try and use normal screwdrivers. And you don't have to replace them with torx HEADS as such either.

Here's a mac launched in 1984...seems to be filled with Torx.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Maci...Teardown/21422

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    TORX isn't some new conspiracy.

They've been around for many many years. Like decades. They're generally chosen precisely BECAUSE they are more tamper proof to the average person. It's not THAT hard to find the drivers. Just don't try and use normal screwdrivers. And you don't have to replace them with torx HEADS as such either.

Here's a mac launched in 1984...seems to be filled with Torx.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Maci...Teardown/21422
    Yep, TORX screws aren't new technology but they are less common in retail and exact same screw model is rare (M3 stainless screw with flat head with torx socket). For example David Cubanski from Mosaic can't find them in local US stores and i can't find them in my place as well. The only current option is import them from China from ebay sellers.

P.S. done some tests with rest of my new HEX socket screws and they are holds very well. I can hard screw and unscrew them easy with normal hex key without any socket damage.

It is also makes sense to replace those screws on UM 4.6K with custom made ones. Here is one more quote from conversation David Cubanski may be useful for UM 4.6K owners:
    "You know probably how the Ursa Mini Pro has interchangeable lens mounts. We have been looking closely at this camera and these mounts, because we develop a filter now for the Ursa Mini series. As it happens, Blackmagic uses four of the exact same kind of screws for the interchangeable lens adapters on the Ursa Mini Pro. The head design is the same; the only difference is that the screws are a longer length. Blackmagic knows about this problem also, because even in their own instructions, they warn customers against over-tightening these screws; even they suggest using a torque screwdriver to limit the torque to a certain threshold. Well, so it is something else, for which there can be a use, I think."

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    The head design is the same; the only difference is that the screws are a longer length.[/B] Blackmagic knows about this problem also, because even in their own instructions, they warn customers against over-tightening these screws; even they suggest using a torque screwdriver to limit the torque to a certain threshold. Well, so it is something else, for which there can be a use, I think."
    Hang on !

The overtightening isn't about protecting the screws. It's about applying the right amount of torque (not torx) driver that gives the correct amount of pressure BECAUSE this affects lens collimation. It's possible to get close to the correct FFD using this approach in the absence of other more expensive tools for measuring the flange depth. That's how it's been DESIGNED !

Don't confuse that instruction or design with the choice of using custom pieces.

JB