Thread: OLPFs for BMPCC and BMMCC - Mosaic & RawLite

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    C'mon folks, any OLPF that has an effect on aliasing also has a effect on resolution, it's inevitable. Inventing one that doesn't would be like inventing the Perpetuuum Mobile.

Obviously Mosaic is striking a very good balance between resolution and anti-aliasing. More resolution without aliasing is only possible with more photocells. I have never seen moiré on a RED camera, but it looks soft when compared to Sony's Cine Alta F3, which sometimes shows some moiré. Choose your poison!

From the limited samples I've seen it seems like the rawlite keeps more sharpness simply because it doesn't reduce the moire entirely.

https://youtu.be/_lC5mwUKH24

While it's a rough test and I wish they had labeled which is which, to me in the shots I think are with the rawlite I still can see some moire in the chair.

So I'm going with the Mosaic for ease of installation, better shim kit and more potent moire reduction.

I do however hope the micro has enough resolution for it not to matter, also getting sharp glass like the sigma art range might help me.

Yes, 4K and beyond needs really sharp glass!

I don't really mind a little moire but the horrible purple pixel mess I get with raw files on the BMMCC is the problem for me. I have actually gone back to shooting in ProRes where it's just regular moire.

Hate to loose the raw, but I'm still not feeling good about spending 400€ on a filter I can't reuse on future cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by vvvvv View Post
    I don't really mind a little moire but the horrible purple pixel mess I get with raw files on the BMMCC is the problem for me,
    This sounds rather like a problem with purple fringing than with sensor moiré.

Quote Originally Posted by paragram View Post
    This sounds rather like a problem with purple fringing than with sensor moiré.
    No I don't mean purple fringing. With BMMCC raw files the moire sometimes brakes into these bright colored pixels. Mix of purple, orange and blue to be more precise. I'm sure BMMCC users are more then familiar with this. Haven't found a way to tone it down outside of just using prores.
    Last edited by vvvvv; 07-27-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    C'mon folks, any OLPF that has an effect on aliasing also has a effect on resolution, it's inevitable. Inventing one that doesn't would be like inventing the Perpetuuum Mobile.

Obviously Mosaic is striking a very good balance between resolution and anti-aliasing. More resolution without aliasing is only possible with more photocells. I have never seen moiré on a RED camera, but it looks soft when compared to Sony's Cine Alta F3, which sometimes shows some moiré. Choose your poison!
    When I said there wasn't a noticeable loss in resolution, I'm referring to working with clips in a timeline and intercutting with previous footage - I'm not blowing up to 400% and pixel peeping... Sure, there may be some added softness, but to my eye it's not at all distracting, and in some cases may be softening the tooth-rattling sharpness that takes away from the film look, which is still my ideal poison....In any case I'll take it over moire any day...

BTW, I'm shooting on the Micro, not 4K... Viewing on an HP DreamColor monitor...
    Last edited by Mac; 07-27-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: BTW

No I don't mean purple fringing. With BMMCC raw files the moire sometimes brakes into these bright colored pixels. Mix of purple, orange and blue to be more precise. I'm sure BMMCC users are more then familiar with this. Haven't found a way to tone it down outside of just using prores.
    I also experienced this. Mine are less colored and more like the right colors, but like 6x6 pixel squares that flash around. Only in places where moire might occur. I thought there was something wrong with my camera

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    I also experienced this. Mine are less colored and more like the right colors, but like 6x6 pixel squares that flash around. Only in places where moire might occur. I thought there was something wrong with my camera
    Oh boy that's what that is....? I was filming some synthetic flowers the other day, my samyang 16mm + speed booster exhbited exactly this. I thought it was some kind of funny noise I'd created from bending the curve too much, but I was filming in bright sunlight. When filming with a Canon 1.8 50mm it instead looks like moire though, not little colorful dancing noise.

Should we complain or? This is also from the micro.

I don't really mind a little moire but the horrible purple pixel mess I get with raw files on the BMMCC is the problem for me. I have actually gone back to shooting in ProRes where it's just regular moire.

Hate to loose the raw, but I'm still not feeling good about spending 400€ on a filter I can't reuse on future cameras.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Oh boy that's what that is....? I was filming some synthetic flowers the other day, my samyang 16mm + speed booster exhbited exactly this. I thought it was some kind of funny noise I'd created from bending the curve too much, but I was filming in bright sunlight. When filming with a Canon 1.8 50mm it instead looks like moire though, not little colorful dancing noise.

Should we complain or? This is also from the micro.
    I have exactly this on my BMMCC, colored square boxes everywhere, and it's getting worse. It's crazy, I've never seen anything like it before. And that's the reason I started a RMA request.

I always address my camera malfunctions that need RMA with BMD and keep it at that, between me and the manufacturer. But, this is the first time I've had them take my DNGs, keep them awhile, a week later say they're sending it to the Australian tech dept for further review, then have them reply that it's normal behave of sensors.

It's not the purple grid people may be thinking of, it's multi colored squares that flash about. I'll get some DNGs ready and post up here and see what y'all think.