Thread: OLPFs for BMPCC and BMMCC - Mosaic & RawLite

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 OLPFs for BMPCC and BMMCC - Mosaic & RawLite 
    Hey all,

I've read through several of the threads on this forum extensively searching for reviews and examples of the Mosaic OLPF for the Blackmagic cameras. Like many of us, I've fallen in love with my pocket camera (although thinking of upgrading to a micro) but occasionally moire and sharp edges can badly affect my footage. So I'm very keen to find a solution!

However, I haven't been able to find very many solid tests on how much the filter softens the image. It would be great if people were able to share/link to some footage and DNGs. Everything I have been able to find has been very outdated or hard to make a conclusion from.

To make things even harder, Hans' filter (rawlite.com) also exists - albeit with the addition of IR filtration too. I don't suppose anybody has compared both filters? With this one I'd be worried about losing control of 'when' to cut IR.

Any other thoughts?

No, you've pretty well summed it up.

The Mosaic filter definitely softens the image quite noticeably. That has always bothered me. In a world of 4k obsessed people, any loss of sharpness at 1080p can be a problem.

The Rawlite filter - from what few examples I've seen - seems to cause less softening of the image. That right there has me interested. The addition of the IR cut is a nice bonus. I also was not sure at first what I thought about having it be always on, but as time went by I realized that I really never shoot the BMPCC and BMCC without the Hoya IR cut in front, and any loss of reds in skin tone - although noticeable - has really never been a problem for me.

It's the less soft (I hope) image from the Rawlite that has me ready to get a pair of these filters. I downloaded the RAW DNGs from their site and plan to take a very close look at them soon. If the image softening is indeed as minimal as it appears to be, then I'll be sold. There is no doubt that they do eliminate nearly all moire.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    No, you've pretty well summed it up.

The Mosaic filter definitely softens the image quite noticeably. That has always bothered me. In a world of 4k obsessed people, any loss of sharpness at 1080p can be a problem.

The Rawlite filter - from what few examples I've seen - seems to cause less softening of the image. That right there has me interested. The addition of the IR cut is a nice bonus. I also was not sure at first what I thought about having it be always on, but as time went by I realized that I really never shoot the BMPCC and BMCC without the Hoya IR cut in front, and any loss of reds in skin tone - although noticeable - has really never been a problem for me.

It's the less soft (I hope) image from the Rawlite that has me ready to get a pair of these filters. I downloaded the RAW DNGs from their site and plan to take a very close look at them soon. If the image softening is indeed as minimal as it appears to be, then I'll be sold. There is no doubt that they do eliminate nearly all moire.
    Yeah, I'm right there on the fence too. I've been trying to avoid dumping too much more money into that little guy, but the moire is really my only complaint (okay that and poor internal audio) given how cheap a camera it is. I've already spend a bunch of money this week on gear, partly thanks to you guys and the AXRTEC deal (thank you for tipping me off to that, huge savings) but I have a shoot coming up where I might need that OLPF for the Pocket, so might have to pull the trigger.

Interesting, I didn't realise the Mosaic had such a big impact, some of the tests I've seen have shown minimal loss - but then again, I haven't found a test done under controlled conditions, everything has been crude comparisons so it's hard to judge. I've read about the Mosaic improving the 'motion' rendering of the footage - do you think this is something specific to the mosaic filter or an effect of an OLPF in general?

Would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it if you were to make a purchase.

Where abouts are the DNGs listed on their site? I can't seem to find them... Apologies in advance if it's super obvious and I'm just missing it!

Best

No - the Mosaic filter doesn't have "a lot" of loss of sharpness. It's just noticeable. With the Rawlite comparisons I'm struggling to find where the sharpness is decreased.

Ya know, now that I think about it, I can't remember where I downloaded the DNGs from. Let me have a real look at them, and if I think they're worth the time I'll just post them myself.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

the DNG's are on the the Matt Scott Visuals site linked to at the bottom of the page (http://mattscottvisuals.com/blog/201...-contamination)

the big thing I want to know is what happens with non-speed boosted lenses? (eg native m43 glass) - are there going to be back focus issues with these that we can't fix?
    if there are, is there anyway to realistically shim the mount? (was thinking could we unbolt the front metal bezel on the camera mount and somehow get some custom shims in there then bolt it back on?)

here is DNGs that i keep from very old thread in this forum. Dude compare images before and after Mosaic OLPF and share DNGs https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mo1kr2ddz...jIs8t1vPa?dl=0
    I can make a test with Mosaic OPLF with Hoya IR filter if someone has that new RawLite filter, ColorChecker Passport and original or self printed ISO 12233 Chart to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelvis View Post
    the DNG's are on the the Matt Scott Visuals site linked to at the bottom of the page (http://mattscottvisuals.com/blog/201...-contamination)

the big thing I want to know is what happens with non-speed boosted lenses? (eg native m43 glass) - are there going to be back focus issues with these that we can't fix?
    if there are, is there anyway to realistically shim the mount? (was thinking could we unbolt the front metal bezel on the camera mount and somehow get some custom shims in there then bolt it back on?)
    Absolutely... This is the one main thing holding me back from ordering the rawlite. I use my Veydra Minis quite regularly and to have the focus issues people have been describing to me would be a real problem. At least with the Mosaic they send out custom made shims to fix the problem straight from the camera mount. I wonder if the Mosaic shim would work with the Rawlite filter... probably wishful thinking!

Thanks for the DNG links, and also thanks Shijan - I'll check these out later tonight.

thanks

form that test it looks like the mosaic filter also does a fair bit of IR cutting as well (tie is much less red-brown on the mosaic shot)

Interesting... just received an email from David at Mosaic:

Actually we're about to release a new revision of the filter: It has a new mechanical design, so that it's easier to install. Also we're beginning to include integrated IR filtration in all our Blackmagic filters going forward, so that even when shooting with heavy ND filtration it will no longer be necessary to use a separate IR cut filter or expensive IR/ND filters. Furthermore, the new filter is compatible with the new Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera, as well as the current Pocket Camera and MFT Cinema Camera; it's compatible with all current versions of the Metabones Speedbooster as well.

As soon as the weather clears here, we're planning to shoot more test video with the new filter; hopefully we'll be able to publish this material by around this coming weekend. So we'll try to keep you posted; but of course stay tuned!

I've replied with a few questions regarding the new filter - mainly, whether or not the new design has the same optical quality as the non-IR version, or if it has been improved. Very excited to see their test videos... the latest official release on Vimeo was shot 3 years ago!
    Last edited by hawk; 10-05-2016 at 09:27 AM.