Thread: OLPFs for BMPCC and BMMCC - Mosaic & RawLite

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    It's good to hear that the Rawlite is working well - although I much prefer the design of the new shims from Mosaic, but that solution isn't available yet - hopefully soon...

On a side note - I've owned several Angenieux 9.5-57s over the years (in the 80s and early 90s) - That was my favorite lens on my Eclair ACLs - But it's a standard 16 lens (that even vignetted occasionally wide open on 16) - How well does it cover on the S16 Pocket?

yep, i got reply from Mosaic November 11. I was told that shims will be available very soon. Two months have passed and still no new shims available yet

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    On a side note - I've owned several Angenieux 9.5-57s over the years (in the 80s and early 90s) - That was my favorite lens on my Eclair ACLs - But it's a standard 16 lens (that even vignetted occasionally wide open on 16) - How well does it cover on the S16 Pocket?
    It covers most of the range but vignettes on the wide end in 16:9 (~20mm and below). I usually shoot personal stuff with it in 2.35:1 so most of that gets cropped off. Add an extra 1-5% scale up and most of the heavy vignetting is gone. The mild darkening leftover in the edges (Through almost all of the zoom range) can be fixed in Resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    yep, i got reply from Mosaic November 11. I was told that shims will be available very soon. Two months have passed and still no new shims available yet
    Please remind me: what are the shims for? For using the Speedbooster with the Pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    Please remind me: what are the shims for? For using the Speedbooster with the Pocket?
    It is for using zoom or wide angle lens (10mm or wider) but can help with Speedbooster too. This shim compensates the thickness of the olpf filter.

All Speedboosters, or just the latest type?

I recall reading some about that when the latest SB version was released.

in perfect world you must use olpf+shim with any lens or speedbooster. Mosaic OLPF needs 0.44mm shim. with speedboosters you can rotate a rear part to adjust or compensate it, but it is different than shim, it moves the rear lens element of speedboster so it cause optical artifacts if moved too far.

Quote Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    the shim is necessary to account for the subtly different focal distance to the sensor that the OLPF introduces (because it uses different glass at a different thickness to the default glass that covers the sensor)

this has nothing to do with speed boosters - it effects any lens

(though as some have pointed out, speed boosters may additionally include their own adjustments on focal distance - ie 'back focus' adjustment - again because they are introducing additional optics between the taking lens and the sensor and because the consumer mounts like m43 aren't really precise enough to do this consistently without adjustment)

Has anyone heard anything from Mosaic? I emailed a couple weeks ago but I'm getting nothing but *crickets*.

What's happening with the new version of the Mosaic with the full shim? Any news?