Thread: MAJOR FPN on brand new URSA Mini 4.6k

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Ursa Mini 4.6K display issues 
    Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Heres a screen grab:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2a7bycksf...%20PM.png?dl=0
    Last edited by Volk; 10-04-2016 at 12:55 AM.

Wait a minute.
    What is this a "screen grab" FROM? Exactly what window in what app?
    Right off the bat I'd say there's a 90% chance this pattern is NOT recorded in your footage, but is an artifact of your display method.

This does NOT look like the FPN that shows up on the 4k BMD cameras in low light.

Pull a DNG from the original folder and upload it.
    OR
    If ProRes - Render out a clip and then play it back full scale 1:1 pixel ratio on a real monitor. Upload that too.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

You're totally right! It was 100% a display issue.

Rendered it out and it corrected itself.

Thanks for the help! I thought I had some ruined footage there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/to9ka33h3g...%20AM.png?dl=0

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    It's funny how every noob is an expert on fpn and noise but knows nothing about how to expose a shot.
    Man it's fucking endless around here. That and the bitching about how much media costs.

Not completely unlikely that it might be another case of the "cross hatching pattern" problem/bug... Volk can you upload a DNG or at least make a 1:1 crop of the original footage?

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    Wait who called who asshole? I agree, that comment wasn't needed.
    I think the term used was assh&$@. :-)

I think it serves everyone to have a bit of humility. I feel I am in constant learning mode. Everyone has different experience levels and sometimes when I get in a room with an insanely talented DP or colorist or editor I quickly realize how little I know. And that's with 20 years experience and a few credits to my name. I have just learned that most of the time I will not be the smartest person in the room but I have the opportunity to learn from those who are. And quite often those people are humble and gracious.

So, not casting judgement on anyone, and admittedly I didn't see the first post before edited but that's my perspective when it comes to people who are perhaps new to the industry and perhaps make a few mistakes along the way. I will make several mistakes by the end of today, so I can't fault them. If the tone of the OP was what brought this on, again that's something learned along the way.

just give me your mini ..

People need to calm down. I jumped the gun and posted this thread because I was concerned that my footage was ruined. Someone kindly pointed out that it was just a display issue. No need to get nasty, this community is supposed to be one of the welcoming and helpful ones.. no?

I never claimed to be a pro - and I'm sure you don't have to be one to post in this forum, and I edited the original post because I had the problem solved and didn't need to spark even more unnecessary commentary.

If I knew how to delete a thread it would have been long gone by now lol

Everyone can carry on with your day now.

Well is it really just a display issue? I thought the (current) consensus on the cross hatch problem is that it's clearly a bug/fault and get amplified or especially shows up under certain downscaling conditions (especially realtime downscaling for display) but can be diminished or completely goes away which high quality (or softer) downscaling methods - if you aim for HD delivery that is.

Sorry but I don't get how all this hostility etc displayed here is going to help anyone..
    Especially us users who are all in this together in the end.. to find out more _facts_ about this weird bug/problem. Sadly so far there is still no official statement from BM on this, only some users reporting they get RMAs for it and that in some cases at least they received a new camera without this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeren Mueller View Post
    Well is it really just a display issue? I thought the (current) consensus on the cross hatch problem is that it's clearly a bug/fault and get amplified or especially shows up under certain downscaling conditions (especially realtime downscaling for display) but can be diminished or completely goes away which high quality (or softer) downscaling methods - if you aim for HD delivery that is.

Sorry but I don't get how all this hostility etc displayed here is going to help anyone..
    Especially us users who are all in this together in the end.. to find out more _facts_ about this weird bug/problem. Sadly so far there is still no official statement from BM on this, only some users reporting they get RMAs for it and that in some cases at least they received a new camera without this problem.
    I've only read maybe one person report that their camera doesn't have it. Only read maybe 1 or 2 that had theirs fixed. Whether it's a display issue or not depends upon whether one thinks it's the players fault for not doing a good job at scaling, or Blackmagic's fault for having a pixel grain structure that does not scale well on certain players.