Thread: DaVinci Full screen color screen color page . Ultra Studio Mini monitor

1. #1 DaVinci Full screen color screen color page . Ultra Studio Mini monitor 
    I have an iMac 5k and Apple 27inch display as a second monitor. When I am going a color grade I want to be able to make the color screen show up full page on the 2nd monitor. I want to be able to make wheel/qulalifier adjustments etc without having to hit control F (se photo) . I have trued using a Ultra Studio Mini monitor but the second monitor won't show up. I am plugging the thunderbolt cable from the cinema display into one end of the mini monitor "box" (see photo) and an HDMI -thunderbolt cable into the back of the iMac.
    Attached Images

I can't make any sense of your photo, but if you only have two monitors, you need to configure Resolve so that it displays the entire GUI on a single monitor -- not dual monitors. Then hook up the mini-monitor to the 2nd [unused] monitor for a full screen display and make sure your preferences select it. The mini-monitor will not support the Resolve GUI. It's for full-screen monitoring only.

If you want to use dual monitors for the Resolve GUI, you'll need to add a third monitor, and hook *that* up to the mini-monitor.

Ok. Tried the above and does not seem to work and wonder what I am doing wrong.

I have set the work space to dual screen "off" and still see nothing on the second monitor. Do I need to tell DR to use the 2nd monitor as a full screen monitor? Other than the workspace pull down menu is there somewhere else I should be looking ?

I wonder if it is a cabling/driver issue. I shouldn't be going from the iMac to the mini monitor via thunderbolt and go thunderbolt from the monitor to an hdmi cable to the mini monitor? ( I don't even think they make a thunderbolt to male HDMI)

I don't think a mini monitor can drive your second display as a video monitor, but if it can you are patching backwards. The thunderbolt end of the box needs to be connected to thunderbolt on the computer, then you can try using your hdmi to display port adaptor to go to the second monitor. You also need to activate the box in resolve preferences. But honestly you are much better off using the second screen for GUI, see how workstations are set up on the blackmagic site, there is a lot of stuff that can fill up two screens then attach a halfway decent tv to the mini monitor to preview your grades big screen.

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    I had the same problem. your project display settings are set to 4K or UHD, or anything other than what the mini monitor can do. The mini monitor only does up to 1080P. First make sure that you have the mini monitor hooked up right to your computer via thunderbolt cable and make sure Resolve sees it by going into Resolve Preference and clicking on "Video I/O and GPU". If it is hooked up right and Resolve sees it you will see it listed as an option under Capture and Playback (See image below). Make sure is is selected there like it is in the picture
    Davinci Preferences.jpg
    If it is showing up in Resolve, then click that image of a Cog Wheel on the Bottom left hand corner of Resolve to go into Project Settings. Select "Capture and Playback" and set the drop down menu for "Video capture and playback" to HD1080 24p, 23.98 or 30p, it just has to be 1080 something. In the image below I have it set to 1080PsF. Then the footage will display from the Mini Monitor. it doesn't mean you are now editing your 4K footage in 2K, it just needs to display it to the monitors as that. Your still editing and rendering out your 4K footage as 4K.
    daVinci settings.jpg
    And you have to make sure that the projects settings are set up like that for every project unless you have the Black Magic UltraStudio 4K Extreme, which will let you send it out as UHD to a UHD monitor. And yeah, it goes Thunderbolt out of computer to Thunderbolt in on the Mini Monitor, and Hdmi out on mini monitor to HDMI monitor.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by daydreamersproductions; 08-30-2016 at 02:41 AM.
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

@daydreamers. Thanks ! This is by far the most comprehensive answer I have received . I have done all of the above. For some reason DaVinci doesn't see the mini monitor. Any idea why ? Is there a particular thunderbolt to HDMI cable I should be using to plug into the thunderbolt port on the iMac? thanks again thomas

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    If that did network, then I would call Black Magic. Had to call them to get the info above and it worked. Maybe there is some other issue that did not effect my issue. Call them up but talk to someone in the Mini Monitor department and not the Resolve Department. When I called them transferred me to the Resolve Dept first and he could not figure it out and then they transferred me to the Mini Monitor Dept. I should also try changing Thunderbolt cables before you call. May be a bad cable. Also one more thing. What resolution is the monitor you are sending video out too. Is it 1080. if it is lower,say 720p, you may have to set that video capture and playback setting to what your monitor actually displays natively. Also make sure you monitor can support 1080 24frames per second. They also had to check the TV model specs to see if it could do 1080p 24P, so it may be your TV can not do 24 or 23.98 1080p.
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

Have you installed Desktop Video?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/sup...e-and-playback

If you are trying to go from thunderbolt to hdmi you are patching backwards. You need to go from thunderbolt on iMac to thunderbolt on mini monitor, hdmi out to monitor. Try hooking up a tv, I doubt hdmi - thunderbolt is going to drive the apple monitor.