Thread: Poor man's Angenieux - Tokina AT-X-Pro 28-70mm F2.6-2.8

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Taking a Vacation
    Hmm, learn something new everyday!

Yes, I ran across this several years ago when researching this lens. I went with a real Angenieux 35-70 (which is parfocal) in the end.

Taking a Vacation
    So my copy came in and the whole lens wiggles. It's impossible to pull focus with video. Listing stated perfect mechanical condition. Sure. Also found another listing that stated it was the 2.6 version and it wasn't.

First, thanks for the tip Frank!

I bought my self a Pro II (f2.6-2.8 with bayonet lens hood) which I found at the Finnish second hand website for 250€. The seller said that he had bought it new.
    The zooming ring is quite interesting. It is quite stiff if you are turning it gently. You can make quite smooth zoom ins and outs with it.
    If you turn it with more torque and speed it gets lighter. I don't know if it's normal behavior for this lens but it's ok after you get used to it. Focus ring is ok in my copy, a little bit light maybe after Zeiss Zf.2s.
    It might have some dust or dirt under the focus ring because it is making a little noise. I might get it serviced if the price is reasonable and after that I'm going to make a cinemod for it.

I tested it with Focusmodule and schneider cinelux 2x with my UM46k (looks like bazooka). After quick test I have to say that it paired nicely with it. It doesn't breathe so you can zoom with it and you don't have to worry because it holds focus rather well when zooming.

I'll make some better tests with it next week with and without Focusmodule.

Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    So my copy came in and the whole lens wiggles. It's impossible to pull focus with video. Listing stated perfect mechanical condition. Sure. Also found another listing that stated it was the 2.6 version and it wasn't.
    This sucks, man. I feel for you. I've bought two of these. The first one was a flaming toilet mechanically. Pretty much useless for video and not overly reliable for photography, either. Second one was a gem. Perfect. But my daughter "borrowed" it for her wedding photog biz months ago and I doubt I'll ever see it again. Ha. So now I need to try and get a third one. Not sure I feel like pressing my luck, tho. But I love the look of this lens sooo much.

Taking a Vacation
    Well I'm returning the bunk one but just bought 2 more. As long as they both come in as the Ang one, I'll let one go to the first person on here that calls for it. It'll be Nikon mount. They both show the right screw in shade filter.

That's sucks.

Don't know if this is any consolation, but I got screwed over with the first Sigma 70-200 I bought. It was so loose, it literally was bending in the middle (like 2 mm), so half of the image was always out of focus.

Well I'm returning the bunk one but just bought 2 more. As long as they both come in as the Ang one, I'll let one go to the first person on here that calls for it. It'll be Nikon mount. They both show the right screw in shade filter.
    Vic, I would be interested.
    Cheers

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Vic, I would be interested.
    Cheers
    Ok, I'll let ya know after they both come in. Ones coming from Japan so might be a little bit.

And Frank, I really love the 70-210. Thanks for the heads up on it. Got it for dirt cheap too.

but just bought 2 more.
    Where are you finding them? They're scarce on ebay and the established used dealers don't have them....