Thread: Poor man's Angenieux - Tokina AT-X-Pro 28-70mm F2.6-2.8

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    At what aperture do most of you find yourselves using this lens?

It looks very similar to the Angenieux from F4 (or more stopped down), but wide open it is noticeably worse, both in terms of sharpness and contrast. Because I'm mostly on 4/3 sensors these days, I find being limited to F4 a bit of a drag. I may end up selling mine.

Yeah, the image at 2.8 is strangely muddled (and obviously) soft to my eye. I try not to go more open than 3.5 if I can help it. It is an unfortunate limitation, but I still think the lens has a place in my package. I just got off a music video shoot and used it a few times. The DP has an UMP 4.6k as well and when he was reviewing the footage I shot on the Tokina, he asked about the lens because he loved the image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben de Boer View Post
    Bummer!
    @Frank Glencairn, and yours? Would like to hear your judgment as well, before proceeding to sell/return it!
    That's definitely not good.
    I thought you are just talking about that "clunk" sound it makes when turning it over, that's the pullback ring, but a wobbling front
    element? Not a keeper.

Decided to send it back and bought a different one. Hope that one is better!

Quote Originally Posted by Snuff View Post
    I want to tell you about the slight improvement of my Tokina. Inexpensive accessories that will make working with the lens more convenient.

I installed a vintage rubber hood Mamiya M77 No.1. This is a very high quality hood, much better than Chinese ones, sold on ebay. It has a metal ring in the rubber bezel. It also has a thread for 77mm filters. Two-position folding hood.

I've been looking for a quality reliable follow focus and zoom lever for a long time and found it, but not among the photographic products, but among the household goods. Very good and reliable, nothing wiggles and you can reinstall as many times as you want. Breakaway Nilon Coasters are only 5 pounds for a pair.

I did not like the gold band on the Tokina's focusing ring and I covered it with a black silicone follow focus ring for only a pound.

Very impressive setup you did. I look like a real Cine Lens.

I nabbed a Tokina Pro II version (with the bayonet, 77 milimeter thread, and only f2.8) from Japan. I can't wait to see what it is.

Does anyone know the diameter of the zoom and focus rings for attaching gears? Ive got the ATX Pro II 2.6-2.8

Cheers

I measured the diameter of the lens with a caliper (Tokina 28-70 f/2.8 first version): the diameter of the zoom ring is 75 mm; diameter of the focusing ring is 80 mm.

Did tests yesterday with a Tokina and BMPCC speedbooster on my BMMCC, I found that the only way to control the diaph on the Tokina 28-70 lens was to close the Speedbooster at the maximum value 7. Is this normal?

As I understand it, the maximum aperture of the Tokina with the Speedbooster becomes a t2?

Yes, but on the Nikon F lens, the iris control on the Speed Booster opens and closes the lens iris to the F/Stop set on the lens barrel iris control. So if you set the iris at max opening (f/2.8), with the SB at 1, you should get max f/stop. The actuL f/stop on the lens does not change, the light is concentrated from the lens to the sensor, adding 1.5 stops of extra exposure. DoF remains the same.
    Cheers

Thanks Denny. I understand how the SB add extra light on the sensor. It's really add 1.5 stops of extra exposure?

Anyway, with my Sigma 18-35, it's clear: i control the lens only with the Speedbooster. But with the Tokina, if I want to use the iris on the lens (something i understand: 2.6, 4, 5.6, 8, 11... and not SB 1, 2, 3 etc), I set the iris of the Speedbooster at max closing, to '7'. If I don't do that, i can't use the iris of the Tokina and nothing changes on my aperture. Or i set the iris of the Tokina to 22 and I control the iris with the Speedbooster using 1, 2, 3, 4... But it's strange for me to close the iris of the lens or the one of the speedbooster to have the control of the aperture - and add extra stops to expose.