Thread: Poor man's Angenieux - Tokina AT-X-Pro 28-70mm F2.6-2.8

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Allright, finally got my 28-70mm!
    But I have 1 question. If I turn the lens over (meaning... if I make it point downwards, and then up), it seems the element goes a little forward (or backward). I heard a slight "click" / "thump" and feel the lens element moving ever so slightly when pointing it downwards or up. Does this mean it's a faulty one? If the lens element has a bit of play?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben de Boer View Post
    Allright, finally got my 28-70mm!
    But I have 1 question. If I turn the lens over (meaning... if I make it point downwards, and then up), it seems the element goes a little forward (or backward). I heard a slight "click" / "thump" and feel the lens element moving ever so slightly when pointing it downwards or up. Does this mean it's a faulty one? If the lens element has a bit of play?
    Sounds faulty to me. I've test four versions of that lens an didn't encounter that problem on any of them. None of the elements should be moving around when the lens is inverted (tilted up or down). The obvious effect will be a change in focus.

I encountered several copies of a Canon FD 24mm f/2 lens that had this problem - apparently it was a flaw in the design. This may not be such a problem if you're shooting stills, but with moving images it could be a serious issue if your were to tilt down/up and have a shift in focus.

Yes, that was my thinking, I did not remember my Angie 28-70 moving around either. There are two Angie 28-70mm zooms, in great like new, shape on eBay right now, just a mere $1600!
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 06-20-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Never heard about that one, I only know a 12.5-75mm, which would be a very different lens for 16mm. It won't cover any BM sensor on the wide end.

If you want one like those, go for the 20-80mm, it covers the BMPCC (the old one). Nice lens, I own one.

Sorry, that was a typo, should be 28-70mm. I have the 17.5-70mm Angie S16 Zoom, also a nice lens which covers the Pocket and Micro Cameras. I would love to get an Angie Optimo 17-80 Zoom, sweet lens also. The Angie’s are very good rendering skin complexion, especially beauty shoots.
    I like the look they add.
    Cheers

Mine makes the same sound.
    It's that odd pull-back mechanism on the focus ring, that can develop some play,
    but it's nothing that messes with the optical performance.

If it would be lenses moving around - believe me - you would instantly notice that :-)

Allright, just to be really sure. Here's a 10 second video of me "wobbling" the front lens element. Is this normal? (yes/no)

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/ea2...0193426/a6d79b

I checked and the lens unit in my Tokina sits tightly and does not have a backlash like your lens.

Bummer!
    @Frank Glencairn, and yours? Would like to hear your judgment as well, before proceeding to sell/return it!

10. #220 Upgrade for my Tokina 28-70 f/2.8 
    I want to tell you about the slight improvement of my Tokina. Inexpensive accessories that will make working with the lens more convenient.

I installed a vintage rubber hood Mamiya M77 No.1. This is a very high quality hood, much better than Chinese ones, sold on ebay. It has a metal ring in the rubber bezel. It also has a thread for 77mm filters. Two-position folding hood.

I've been looking for a quality reliable follow focus and zoom lever for a long time and found it, but not among the photographic products, but among the household goods. Very good and reliable, nothing wiggles and you can reinstall as many times as you want. Breakaway Nilon Coasters are only 5 pounds for a pair.

I did not like the gold band on the Tokina's focusing ring and I covered it with a black silicone follow focus ring for only a pound.

Last edited by Snuff; 09-09-2018 at 06:32 PM.