Thread: Video Assist Inquiry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Video Assist Inquiry 
    Does it also record during playback or only when recording live? Reason why I am asking is my sdxc card wants to be formatted when plugging it in my computer but i dont want to lose my files. I want to be able to retrieve the videos i shot in Austria over the weekend. Thanks!

Would be possible to copy files from the camera via usb? The videos playback just fine in my micro cinema camera so if i can somehow record via hdmi. Any ideas?
    Last edited by jsfilmz; 07-04-2016 at 07:37 AM.

Yes I think it should be able to record the playback video - it will basically record any signal that's coming into it.

I do not understand the question, what camera do you have? why is VA relevant for downloading the files to computer?

In any case, do not format the card, if it has videos you want to save on it.

Is your computer Mac or PC, how is your card currently formatted?

Depends of your camera if files can be downloaded via USB.
    LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I do not understand the question, what camera do you have? why is VA relevant for downloading the files to computer?

In any case, do not format the card, if it has videos you want to save on it.

Is your computer Mac or PC, how is your card currently formatted?

Depends of your camera if files can be downloaded via USB.
    I shot it with a micro cinema camera but the memory card is not working when plugged in a computer. I can however play it back when its in the camera. Can anyone with the video assist confirm if you can record during playback mode and not recording mode? Thanks.

Does anyone know any online camera rental places in Germany?

"Can anyone with the video assist confirm if you can record during playback mode and not recording mode?"

I have both BMMCC and VA, but still do not understand the question. If you mean can you play back with BMMCC and record it with VA, I have not tested, but would be very surprised if not. It is just HDMI signal coming to VA, VA does not know if it is recorded or live video.

But why do that? You will loose quality unless you recorded in RAW. Your card is probably formatted for Mac and you are probably trying to read it with PC? There probably is solution for that (but I do not use PC)

If your problem is the file format, this might help, at least give a direction http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi...image-3369574/
    LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    "Can anyone with the video assist confirm if you can record during playback mode and not recording mode?"

I have both BMMCC and VA, but still do not understand the question. If you mean can you play back with BMMCC and record it with VA, I have not tested, but would be very surprised if not. It is just HDMI signal coming to VA, VA does not know if it is recorded or live video.

But why do that? You will loose quality unless you recorded in RAW. Your card is probably formatted for Mac and you are probably trying to read it with PC? There probably is solution for that (but I do not use PC)

If your problem is the file format, this might help, at least give a direction http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi...image-3369574/
    I tried using a software but unfortunately i cant fix the card. Can you test out if you can record playback videos with the VA? Thanks so much. I know i will lose quality but the content is much important at the moment. Thanks!

jsfilmz, do you mean that the sd card in your Micro camera is corrupted and is not recognized when you slot the card in your computer? And that when you leave the card in the camera and connect the Video Assist to the camera, you can play back the footage? I'm presuming that you want to know if you can transfer the footage from the camera card to the Video Assist card by playing back the footage and recording it with the VA at the same time.

Wouldn't it be easier to connect the camera to your computer via USB and transfer the files that way? Or maybe move the SD card into the VA and connect the VA to your computer with a cable (not sure if the VA has a USB port)?

Quote Originally Posted by xrayspecs View Post
    jsfilmz, do you mean that the sd card in your Micro camera is corrupted and is not recognized when you slot the card in your computer? And that when you leave the card in the camera and connect the Video Assist to the camera, you can play back the footage? I'm presuming that you want to know if you can transfer the footage from the camera card to the Video Assist card by playing back the footage and recording it with the VA at the same time.

Wouldn't it be easier to connect the camera to your computer via USB and transfer the files that way? Or maybe move the SD card into the VA and connect the VA to your computer with a cable (not sure if the VA has a USB port)?
    You can connect the camera to the PC? I dont have a VA yet I just purchased one to see if it will save me. Thanks man

You cannot copy files to or from the VA or the Micro via USB but you can record onto the VA from the HDMI output of the micro. Sounds like you don't own the VA, probably cheaper to explore some software alternatives.

If all you did was accidentally format the card as HFS+ instead of exfat (which is what it sounds like), the software that Kim linked should work. You're not repairing the disk as it's not broken. You need to access the disk from hfsexplorer in the start menu.

Good Luck