Thread: Digital Bolex is out of the camera manufacturing game

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    It's a shame to see them go.

Perhaps someone will buy up their imaging technology and put it in a different box. Image quality was always FANTASTIC on this camera.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    It's a shame to see them go.

Perhaps someone will buy up their imaging technology and put it in a different box. Image quality was always FANTASTIC on this camera.
    I think anyone could use the TrueSense CCD they bought. It was an off the shelf part.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    They had good tech but that ugly looking retro style... definitely no one will take anybody seriously using such equipment that only looks good in a museum. Sometimes people are just too stubborn to think the market is them. I would not want to be caught holding that camera unless I was in a vintage replica show.
    I have had mine for two years now, and would not trade it for anything near its price range that has come out since. Seriously, make it a square box and make it black makes a difference? It is a far more ergonomic and practical design than the original BMCC, which is not exactly a beauty queen either.
    The manufacturing shut down is not for lack of sales, it was never going to be a mass market product, nor was it intended to be. But it is an expensive camera to produce in limited production runs, far more so than any comparable CMOS design. The sensor alone costs more than the entire manufacturing cost of a BMPCC.
    The rapid rise of the 4k market has made its future questionable in the face of increasing production costs. At present there is no viable off the shelf 4k sensor to build a future model around if the same image quality, nearly completely free of any common digital artifacts, is to be preserved in a similar price range.
    The D16 is as close to a pure, simple photographic instrument as one will find in this digital age. A pure joy to shoot with. Wish I could say the same about any other non-film camera I have ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    I think anyone could use the TrueSense CCD they bought. It was an off the shelf part.
    The sensor is analog. There is no on chip processing. Building a camera around it is a much more expensive proposition than a typical off the shelf CMOS sensor. It's primary application has historically been for scientific/ industrial applications where time coherent image capture and wide accurate color gamut are most important, like the Mars Rovers for instance, or critical dye color matching applications in textile manufacturing. You can buy it in an industrial box camera platform with no on board processing for around $2500. It has to be run connected to an outboard AD processing board and a computer for image capture.

I am very sad for this...OK, maybe DB was a bit overpriced, however....digital bolex was the only CCD camera in the market. CCD has its limits, however, it is a different beast. Even when I look Alexa footage on the big screen, I think "The colorist has been fantastic. However, it would be great to watch the same film shot with a CCD 14 stops Kodak Alexa version.."

Such a shame. Its a BMPCCmkii or URSA Micro, way ahead of its game at a good price. Better form factor and design as well.
    But thats how it is. Some can't afford it, some didn't know enough and some are more into image of the gear than the image it produces.
    Hopefully some other company can produce a complete cinema camera at such a low price in the future.
    I love my Blackmagic but sometimes I want a all in one solution, and that is what the DB is.
    Youtube
    Videos, Tests, Tutorials, Reviews and so on : https://www.youtube.com/user/mattiasburling

It will be difficult to see the same color science in the next years..its special satured kodak bayer was something unique, and it wil be not employed again...Blackmagic, ARRI, Red have great colors, OK...but Kodak Truesense colors were absolutely unique.

I commend them for trying but the price tag was too high when it was released and they done nothing to reduce it. Some might think its IQ is unique but for me it could not touch the IQ from the Pocket or BMCC.

That is sad, beautiful images from that sensor. No new cameras being made should make for interesting sales/purchase market as of July 1, 2016. I hope anyone who was curious about it, and can justify the cost, will pick up a copy by June 30th. I'm wish I could, but I can't. Good luck to Elle and the remaining team and all the owners who can continue to shoot great images.

Bad strategy + poor execution + engineering led business practices = game over for what could have been a who knows what.