Thread: Interested in a passive EF mount for URSA Mini PL?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Interested in a passive EF mount for URSA Mini PL? 
    Ever since the URSA Mini PL mount was announced to have a removable mount - to allow a B4 mount - I've wondered whether it would also be possible to use a passive EF mount on the camera. I have a collection of vintage Contax & Leica-R glass I'd love to be able to use. I know there's been quite bit of interest and discussion about this topic already, but no real solution has presented itself.

Recently my URSA Mini PL 4.6k arrived and I made some rudimentary measurements. It appears that from the sensor to the front of the camera (with mount removed) is 42mm. That would mean there's about 2mm from the camera to reach EF flange distance of 44mm.

So, I've reached out to a couple of camera workshops and got this response from Illya at Hot Rod Cameras:

"I have been thinking about making a passive EF mount for the Ursa mini for a while. I've also been thinking of a passive Sony E-mount for the same cameras. They would be manufactured to our usual high standards (pressure locking, like Canon C300 MkII or Red) If we were to run a small number of these to test the market (probably just 10 or so) we probably couldn't sell them for less than $450-475 do you think that is a fair price?"

I actually think $450-475 is a very reasonable price - especially considering the other option, which is to buy another camera body. And also considering Illya suggested it may be lockable, which hasn't yet happened on any BM camera!

So, is there another nine people out there who'd be interested in buying a passive EF mount for their Mini PL?

Here's the master list in order of those who registered their interest from both BMCUser & BM Official Forums:

1. Myself
    2. Cine (BMCUser)
    3. Radish149 (BMCUser)
    4. remopini (BMCUser)
    5. Mark_inverse (BMCUser)
    6. vicharris (BMCUser)
    7. paulrossjones (BMCUser)
    8. Jonathan Kutner (BM Official Forum)
    9. Dave Perry (BM Official Forum)
    10. Chris Warren (BMCUser)
    11. Hernan Herrera (BMCUser)
    12. ScreenInfinityProductions (BMCUser)
    13. Nick Gombinsky (BM Official Forum)
    14. rogmag (BMCUser)
    15. TheInternet (BMCUser)
    16. dia3olik (BMCUser)
    17. CineMacGyver (BMCUser)
    18. mjamerson (BMCUser)
    19. drcoffee2 (BMCUser)
    20. kgimedia (BMCUser)
    21. townio (BMCUser)

Interested future URSA Mini owners:
    1. dop16mm (BMCUser)
    2. segauz01 (BM Official Forum)
    3. Jason R. Johnston (BM Official Forum)
    4. Rick Lang (BM Official Forum)
    Last edited by trispembo; 02-02-2017 at 10:29 PM.

I'd be interested in this. I'm torn on a body to buy because I have a set of Canon Cine Primes, but would love to use PL options as well.

I'd be interested too!

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    I'd be interested in this. I'm torn on a body to buy because I have a set of Canon Cine Primes, but would love to use PL options as well.
    I hear ya.

I ended up going with PL because I had a 2/3" Fuji 17x ENG lens, which is perfect for most of my event work, and invested in CineAlta primes for my narrative work. With this adaptor I'd have the opportunity to use ALL my lenses on the one camera!

why not get the EF version of the URSA and then use an EF to PL adapter? That gives you the added bonus of having an active EF mount.

Can only use B4 with the PL version (and lens control). I'd like to be able to use B4 and EF lenses both!

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken View Post
    why not get the EF version of the URSA and then use an EF to PL adapter? That gives you the added bonus of having an active EF mount.
    Because you can't use the B4 mount (and lens control) on the EF model. Also you would need extra support for your PL lenses.

Also, all my EF mount glass (Contax & Leica-R) is manual, so I have no need for the electronic control.

And to top it off, Illya is suggesting a lockable EF mount, which means absolutely no movement at the mount - which is one of the most frustrating side effects of using a photo mount for cinema.

I would totally be interested... especially if it is sub $500 and locking
    Last edited by remopini; 06-17-2016 at 03:30 AM.

I'm probably a year away from URSA mini, hoping all the magenta issues get solved... So don't put me on any pre order list. I would consider this option if available when I'm ready for the camera. All of the lenses I use are canon mount and manual, either adapted vintage or Rokinon cine. So I need canon mount day to day, but not electronic. I'd love the option of renting PL glass, but not at the cost of it being the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    I'm probably a year away from URSA mini, hoping all the magenta issues get solved... So don't put me on any pre order list. I would consider this option if available when I'm ready for the camera. All of the lenses I use are canon mount and manual, either adapted vintage or Rokinon cine. So I need canon mount day to day, but not electronic. I'd love the option of renting PL glass, but not at the cost of it being the only option.
    Yeah, I think the flexibility of being able to "natively" use PL, EF or B4 on the one camera really steps up it's usefulness.

I hope you jump in because you it's possible to get great results if you get the right camera. My 4.6k camera doesn't exhibit the magenta problems others are experiencing. Currently Im using a Fuji 2/3" lens, Sony CineAlta primes and a GL Optics 11-16mm - all free of magenta vignetting.