Thread: De-clicking Contax MM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I’m not sure if anyone still looks at this thread but for the sake of those who come after I did open, de-click and dampen my Contax lenses with complete success. This advice and video is applicable to the MM’s without ninja starts only.

The way to do it is with “damping grease” you need a light one appropriate to optics. I used the NYE 795A and it worked perfectly.

Be careful removing the screws, this is the most dangerous part. I used locking pliers and JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw drivers. I’ve a hunch this is what the MMs are put together with and it would explain the heads being stripped by Phillips screwdrivers so often. I tried felt and also electrical tape but it’s not a very good solution. The Damping grease is designed for this purpose and by far the best way to go; it really works perfectly for a silky smooth aperture ring dampened to your taste. Felt man worried about the grease running but if you use the appropriate grease then it’ll be fine, the grease I use here remains at the same viscosity from -35 to 125 Celsius.

I’ve now done the 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 35-70/3.4, 80-200/4. All pretty much the same story. This is footage from the camera I had running when I de-clicked and dampened the first lens. I hope it will be of some help to anyone who wants to do this them selves and if there’s any question or advice I’d be happy to hear it.

Thanks for that. Gives me the confidence to try the next one myself - which will be a 25/2.8 MM.

wow, nice job, a little fast to understand but i get the picture and if anything i think it shows why most people should just pay the $60 to have it done!

Yeah, I was leaving the country the next day so it was just a very quick and dirty way of throwing it together. I think if your doing it and watching the video you should pause it at the relevant points, that's what I do with these vids normally anyhow and hopefully it'll be a help if used in this manner. As for paying for it, it's a significant saving if your doing a few but if you strip a head then you'll wish you hadn't bothered. Weather your up to disassembling and reassembling only you know, I'm not as sure this is for everyone as I was at the beginning of the thread. it's not too hard but some folk find these things easier than others.

Good luck with the 25mm, you can get the damping grease on Amazon and it's this that really makes the job. All the best, N.

Thank you SO much for this video!
    Would you mind uploading the normal speed version though? I know you probably meant not to bore your public but I'd REALLY appreciate the little details!

BTW, are all of your lenses MMJ versions? I have a 28mm 2.0 and a 15mm 3.5 which are both AEG.

Quote Originally Posted by yadnom1973 View Post
    I’ve now done the 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 35-70/3.4, 80-200/4.
    Were the zooms lenses any different than the primes? I'm working on declicking a 28-85 MMJ but the whole part with the aperature ring comes out and I can't seem to disassemble it further unlike most videos I've seen with primes.

Are there any similar instructions/videos on declicking AEs? I opened up the back of mine, but the parts didn't seem to come loose in the same way as the MM...