Thread: De-clicking Contax MM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 De-clicking Contax MM 
    Iím looking for some advice or a video/pictures of Zeiss Contax MM being de-clicked. Iím about to give it a go and would like to watch or hear from someone who has done this before. I took off the rear part of the 50mm 1.4 and had a little look at the mechanism but then thought better of it a decided to search on line first before taking the plunge. Felt is my current weapon of choice. Anyone seen anything anywhere or maybe know something themselves?

You're a braver man than me. I took my Contax glass to a local lens tech and had them de-clicked for AU$40 each.

Not that brave I closed it back up and came here, brave will be when I get to do the 21mm.

It's easy, take pictures on your way in so you remember how it goes back together. I think it's just a spring and a ball. I did it years ago converting to Leitax mounts and the declick was easy compared to getting the mounts off. Sorry I can't remember the specifics but it wasn't difficult.

I've just had the Leitax mounts arrive. The mounts are very simple, unscrew the 4 screws on the back of the lens, slip the adapter over the top and screw it on into the same holes with slightly longer screws provided. To de-click involves taking the back off and then inside I can see the spring and the little clicky ball. I'll need to separate the two parts to get to it though and just wanted some reassurance before going ahead. Your right though I’ll set the camera up first is I’ve a record of where everything is just in case.

I was going to say have a lens tech do it but you'd already removed the CY mount which is the hard part. I destroyed a mint 35mm f1.4 when I launched it off the kitchen counter trying to remove the mount screws. You know that feeling when you wake up after a night of too much drinking and gambling, it was way worse than that.

dont do it yourself, only because you have to dampen it after you declick it with special grease, or it will loose and move on its own a lot.
    literally send it in to duclos or someone, its about 50-60 bucks and worth it.

I never liked the idea of grease in my aperture mechanism. It's not sealed in anyway. I found a video of a chap de-clicking an old Nikon and replacing the ball with a strip of felt around the area of travel and think I'll try this instead. De-clicking’s about £50 per lens this side of the pond and for my 6 lenses that’s £300 for what I believe is a rather simple operation on some lenses and I’ve heard that Contax MMs (not the AE where you have to dismantle the whole lens) is one of the lenses that are easy to do. I would however like to find a few pictures somewhere on a forum first. If I work it out I’ll post a little video of how I went about it here.
    I’m off to bed now but if anyone reads this and knows where to look pleas post a link.

Quote Originally Posted by yadnom1973 View Post
    I never liked the idea of grease in my aperture mechanism. It's not sealed in anyway. I found a video of a chap de-clicking an old Nikon and replacing the ball with a strip of felt around the area of travel and think I'll try this instead. De-clicking’s about £50 per lens this side of the pond and for my 6 lenses that’s £300 for what I believe is a rather simple operation on some lenses and I’ve heard that Contax MMs (not the AE where you have to dismantle the whole lens) is one of the lenses that are easy to do. I would however like to find a few pictures somewhere on a forum first. If I work it out I’ll post a little video of how I went about it here.
    I’m off to bed now but if anyone reads this and knows where to look pleas post a link.
    well its not really grease, its what in every professional cine lens.
    ok, but youve been warned. i did it and when i was done it was so loose it was a worthless lens, wound up going straight to a lens tech and getting it dampened.
    ive seen the felt guy, i think that is a worse way to do it, felt gets worn, and the one friend i know that tried to do it that way, just like you, saw the youtube video, within a month of use it got bunch up in there and stuck his iris in the middle of a shoot. yes he wound up talking it to duclos.
    Last edited by JLdp; 06-07-2016 at 08:04 PM.

I have been warned. It certainly needs dampening that’s for sure, won’t be much use otherwise. I’m interested to hear about the grease. There are types of especially synthetic grease that are not affected by heat, and maybe it wouldn’t migrate around inside the back of the lens if stiff enough but there is something I really don’t trust about it. I’ll try to find out what kind of grease they are using, this is Duclos I presume? And where and how it’s applied. As for the felt wearing, maybe, though it’d take a respectable amount of time, I’ve seen felt or something very similar used for dampening inside mechanisms older than me. Does anyone else know about this grease? Or felt bunching coursing problems for de-clicks? Or just some posts about opening the MM without the de-clicking. For such a popular lens I’m surprised there’s so little out there.