Thread: Shot on Production Camera: it still rocks, for me.

1. #1 Shot on Production Camera: it still rocks, for me. 
    Hello Sirs and (few) ladies

In this time of great hype for the Ursa mini and all sorts of other new products coming out both from Blackmagic Design and other companies, i wanted to share with you one of my latest work, entirely shot on a Blackmagic Design Production Camera. So the client wanted a "seventies" retro look, insisted a lot on "dust and scratches" effects and specific film emulation, so also the language of the shots (camera movements etc) I wanted to keep them as "organic" as possible (exception being made for the first three symbolic shots of the short film). I'm really thinking that, aside from the form factor of the camera (which I used to love because of all the self-rigging galore etc), which I now start to dislike because in Italy we don't have that huge variety of products for designing a well balanced rig (just my two cents), that this camera still has a lot of potential in it. I just love to work with it.

Too bad the budget of the production was minimal, I would have loved to be in the possibility to do a lot more (old story for all of us, I know).

Notice: I don't think it'll be an issue, but just be informed that it has some "mature" content (male nudity)

for mobile: https://vimeo.com/168067869

Part two out now!

for mobile: https://vimeo.com/169659670

Some additional infos

Shot on a Blackmagic Design 4k Production Camera in ProRes 422 HQ and RAW.
    Lens used: Nikon 24-70 ED f 2.8, Nikkor 50 D f1.8
    The film takes place in a location called Laguna del Mort, in north-eastern Italy. Part of the shots include sequences from the next chapter to be released as a second part of the Spring / Summer campaign, The boiler, which were shot in my studio.
    Edited in FCPX, Graded in DaVinci Resolve 12.
    Sound Design and Sound Production made on Logic Pro X
    Voice Actors: Damiano Tescaro, Pietro Mingotti
    Model / Performer: Sandro Busolo

And here after a teaser for the second part of the campaign.

for mobile: https://vimeo.com/164590625

Hope you'll enjoy it
    Last edited by Pietro Mingotti; 06-21-2016 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added content ;)

Hey embedded videos don't show up on mobile devices. You gotta post the link too or many people (like me) will not be able to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by misterkofa View Post
    Hey embedded videos don't show up on mobile devices. You gotta post the link too or many people (like me) will not be able to watch it.
    https://vimeo.com/168067869

https://vimeo.com/164590625

That's some far out looking stuff Pietro!

Great imagery.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Some beautiful shots indeed.

Thank you Liam and DPStweart. Thanks also for the advice about the embedding and posting links for mobile.

Chapter two will be released the 20th of June.

Actually, initially, it was all thought to be a longer single short film. The idea was to mix together ( as it is the Brand Identity of this fashion brand ) different kind of things, in this case, a narrative short film with a more graphic "music video" style kind of moodboard short. The passage between the first and the second one would happen when the actor jumps into the sea (end of part 1); at that point the camera tilts up and it would merge trough compositing with a camera tilt up in the studio, having the model naked on the blue (same as the sky) backdrop, doing some sort oh harakiri and jumping the visuals deep into this "evolution / involution" kind of thing.

But the film would have come out a little bit too long for web screening, and also the difference between the language in the first part and the second one was kind of discomforting for the viewer. So I decided to split it up.

Regarding the camera: I find that it really behaves well even in low light conditions, or for better saying, low key kind of shots. Actually it was (for me) far more difficult to manage the shots outside in the bright daylight (without and EVF this camera is a real pain to work with). BTW, I managed to get stuck into the swamp and fall right into it. Luckily my shoulders were strong enough to lift the rig over my head and didn't get the camera into water/mud LOL.

Here some behind the scenes

DSC_1554.jpgDSC_1550.jpg

aka: never go into the swamp without bugs protection

DSC_1528.jpgDSC_1520.jpgDSC_1517.jpg

Edit: Added a new chapter to the first post

Senior Member Michael Sandiford's Avatar
    Looks ace, some beautiful shots, I wouldn't call it a fashion film though as there is no clothing involved. It's an Arthouse film.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sandiford View Post
    Looks ace, some beautiful shots, I wouldn't call it a fashion film though as there is no clothing involved. It's an Arthouse film.
    Thank you Michael

Well, yes and no. I do agree with you, we decided not to show the product in the first chapter, to show some of it in the second, while the third one will involve more of it.
    It is a bit like some fashion brands communication technique, in which they never show the product in order to give you a hint of the concept, to create more expectation. Check out Commes des Garcons website, as an example.
    But I got what you mean.

Any suggestions from you users on how could I have shot this better? Or edit and color it? It's been a one man show, from the concept, to the storyboarding, to the shooting, the DOP, the sound design, the editing (really NOT my field), the coloring... I so so wish I will find more professionals in my area to work with. I would love to be Director of Photography only, ugh.