Thread: Everything I shouldn't do with the BMPCC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A lot of older or less expensive lenses get quite soft and bloomy when the aperture is completely wide open - this looks like that to me. Try 2.8 or 4.0 as a test for comparison, see if you can see where it breaks.

The 1600 ASA and 360 degree shutter probably hurt it too.

I'm sure most of us have made similar mistakes over the years, so don't feel bad - hey, now you know right?

Not on a speedbooster. It is soft and for me blurry but on footage as he moves a ghosting effect was visible. I am also giving up on those MFT and C-mount-MFT lenses except a couple of panny. The image they produce are soft. But the issue here I think is that 1600 iso and 360 shutter angle causing it to ghost and overexposed. However the histogram was showing the exposure was still to the middle left. I am going to get those Sigma And Canon EF lenses and a speedbooster.

Quote Originally Posted by CB_Video View Post
    A lot of older or less expensive lenses get quite soft and bloomy when the aperture is completely wide open - this looks like that to me. Try 2.8 or 4.0 as a test for comparison, see if you can see where it breaks.

The 1600 ASA and 360 degree shutter probably hurt it too.

I'm sure most of us have made similar mistakes over the years, so don't feel bad - hey, now you know right?
    Right... A lesson learned. I think what you said is on the money.

oh man, you could of been a stop darker and kept the shutter where it should be!
    i have shot high speed material at 270 degrees, so when they ramp back to 24 it looses the shutter effect, the speed of the shutter because of the high speed compensates most of the motion blur.

Neat Video will fix the Noise

It's hard to tell from that still image but that seems more like lens softness rather then then a shutter angle problem. I've shot material on a 360 degree shutter and it looked just fine.

I've done similar work shooting live performances in low light on my old Nikons and this looks exactly like what happens when I shoot wide open.

Also should be noted, it's hard as hell to hit focus on a moving, non-planned target at f/2. I'm not saying you didn't hit it, can't tell in that still, but when your focal plane is something so small and its out of your control, you're gonna have a rough time regardless of all the other settings.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenInfinityProductions View Post
    It's hard to tell from that still image but that seems more like lens softness rather then then a shutter angle problem. I've shot material on a 360 degree shutter and it looked just fine.

I've done similar work shooting live performances in low light on my old Nikons and this looks exactly like what happens when I shoot wide open.
    I'm going to upload an image where the ghosting is more prominent... I'm just out of town and away from my Resolve system but will be back late tonight (PST zone).

Quote Originally Posted by pinko View Post
    Also should be noted, it's hard as hell to hit focus on a moving, non-planned target at f/2. I'm not saying you didn't hit it, can't tell in that still, but when your focal plane is something so small and its out of your control, you're gonna have a rough time regardless of all the other settings.
    Yeah, if that was a Canon C100 I was using, I would have increase the ISO can close down the aperture to about a f/4 to hit focus and kept the shutter angle at 180 to avoid the ghosting since it is pretty good in low light. The lens, well, yeah, those older lens like the one I used here added the softness. As I said, I did things I shouldn't have but due to lighting and equipment circumstances I just risk it because I didn't have another shot at it.

If you're trying to make it easier to focus f4 wont do it, dof on the C100 at f4 is the same as the pocket at f2. Now you don't have to make that mistake as well. Good Luck.