Thread: Is The Kinefinity Terra the Camera URSA Mini 4.6K Should Have Been?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Taking a Vacation
    Zero support in the US. Until that is resolved, it's dead in the water over here.

Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    Zero support in the US. Until that is resolved, it's dead in the water over here.
    Apparently they are working with American distributors as we speak so hopefully we can get all of that resolved and avoid international shipping fees/taxes.

I'm actually excited about the Terra 5K or even the 6K. Damn footage looks great.

I just wish they have a better English web presence. Also, a bigger social media presence than what they already have and definitely a North American distributor who can facilitate the service.

Kinefinity needs a "John Brawley" or someone as good :P

Some of this stuff from the KineMAX 6K looks alright:

Not had a chance to try one out myself; but if the TERRA is the same sensor with all the features of it's big brother, could be promising. Especially at that price!
    Last edited by M Buchanan; 04-22-2016 at 12:20 AM.

That first one needs some color work, bad. These women look undead.

Before:

After:

(color correction on a screenshot, so don't pay attention to compression or overall image quality.)
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by Kastel View Post
    Apparently they are working with American distributors as we speak so hopefully we can get all of that resolved and avoid international shipping fees/taxes.
    I have ordered electronics in the thousands of dollars directly from China to the U.S. and there is no tax/duty on such things, while standard shipping is usually included in the price. Kinefinity also has someone here in L.A. who takes their orders for the U.S. so you can check with him to be sure.

I'm a little mixed on the U.S. distributor issue. Once they land one, the prices will actually go up not down. On the other hand, you might get better service, or you might not.

In my case, I cancelled two Mini 4.6k pre-orders over a period of a few months, and then I put a deposit on the Raven (which is probably not shipping for several months). But the Terra 5K looks perfect for me and it is basically a Chinese RED without the support in the U.S. It's a magnificent clone of the DSMC2 at a fraction of the cost and with third-party SSD recording, which I far prefer to proprietary mini-mags or even CF cards. If the images are as good as the 6K, but without the rolling shutter, I think it will be the camera that I purchase. The representative at NAB stated in the Cinema5D interview that the rolling shutter on the Terra has been greatly improved from the 6K, in addition to the fact that it has a global mode:

Recall that the 6K has the worst rolling shutter known to man of any such cinema camera:

If they fix that in the Terra 5K, it will be an amazing camera.

7. #27 Agreed 
    Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    Agreed, I wouldn't purchase a camera that I had to send back to china to be serviced or replaced.
    It doesn't seem like something that could be done in a timely fashion.

[QUOTE=Kino;207632]

In my case, I cancelled two Mini 4.6k pre-orders over a period of a few months, and then I put a deposit on the Raven (which is probably not shipping for several months). But the Terra 5K looks perfect for me and it is basically a Chinese RED without the support in the U.S.:

Same boat as you Kino I had a Mini 4.6k on pre-order and it was ready to ship from Adorama and I cancelled it because I figured since it was so close to NAB might as well wait to see if a Pocket II comes out. I though about the Raven since a lot of the productions I work on in Japan use Red, Sony or Arri but reality kicked in I have two friends with Red Epic Dragons and one who just got a Weapon if I really need a Red I could borrow one. I put a deposit on the 5k Terra the $6500 USD package is ready to shoot out the box just add lenses and filters. I'm in Japan so I can just over night the camera for service or sell it just as quick to someone in China in case the camera doesn't meet up to the specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Learvis View Post

In my case, I cancelled two Mini 4.6k pre-orders over a period of a few months, and then I put a deposit on the Raven (which is probably not shipping for several months). But the Terra 5K looks perfect for me and it is basically a Chinese RED without the support in the U.S.:

Same boat as you Kino I had a Mini 4.6k on pre-order and it was ready to ship from Adorama and I cancelled it because I figured since it was so close to NAB might as well wait to see if a Pocket II comes out. I though about the Raven since a lot of the productions I work on in Japan use Red, Sony or Arri but reality kicked in I have two friends with Red Epic Dragons and one who just got a Weapon if I really need a Red I could borrow one. I put a deposit on the 5k Terra the $6500 USD package is ready to shoot out the box just add lenses and filters. I'm in Japan so I can just over night the camera for service or sell it just as quick to someone in China in case the camera doesn't meet up to the specs.
    Let us know how it goes.

There's a serious lack of information on the Terra.

I also cancelled my URSA 4.6K pre-order that was ready to ship.

I'll evaluate my camera needs this year.

The Terra, Varicam LT and Scarlet-W are all looking good.

Will give a full report once I get my hands on it. I travel a lot so I want something small to pack with my sound gear if the image is on point then I'll finally leave my BMPCC at home.