Thread: Is The Kinefinity Terra the Camera URSA Mini 4.6K Should Have Been?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    It's too early to tell for sure, but the existing 6K sensor looks pretty damn good to me. and I like having the option of adding the Kineback as well as their speedbooster option which brings you close to full frame if you want it. i've got money set aside for an URSA Mini 4.6k but hitting pause until I see what the Terra 5K sensor looks like in a few months.
    Me too. I was debating on getting the 4.6k turret for my URSA but now I may just invest in the Terra 5k. I love the look of their 6k sensor but since the 5k is a new sensor for them I want to see footage first, but they definitely have my interest. Would love to go back to a Pelican 1510 or even a backpack for my camera package haha

You can really say what you want about these guys being an unknown factor but they have been prolific in releasing cameras. Seems like they're steadily growing and improving on products. I like how they remain focused on cinema cameras. I think they're the real underdog in this segment.

I am assuming this...but as a former KineMINI 4K owner...my personal #1 con (if true) would be that the HFRs will most likely be in the KineRAW format, which will require trancoding via KineStation. (Someone else mentioned 'Assimilate Scratch' software too, but I don't know anything about it. The process was SLOW via KineStation.)

I wouldn't expect 100fps in 4K or 200fps in 2K (or whatever the exact numbers are for everything) to be in ProRes. Would be amazing if they were in ProRes though.

Before I made the purchase, I ended up reading through every single piece of information on their brutally slow website (which I recommend anyone who's interested in the camera to do as well) and knew what I was getting into, but at the end of the day the camera ended up being a pain-in-the-butt to use (for me) and I learned my lesson about buying a new camera without actually touching it and testing it first.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I am assuming this...but as a former KineMINI 4K owner...my personal #1 con (if true) would be that the HFRs will most likely be in the KineRAW format, which will require trancoding via KineStation. (Someone else mentioned 'Assimilate Scratch' software too, but I don't know anything about it. The process was SLOW via KineStation.)

I wouldn't expect 100fps in 4K or 200fps in 2K (or whatever the exact numbers are for everything) to be in ProRes. Would be amazing if they were in ProRes though.

Before I made the purchase, I ended up reading through every single piece of information on their brutally slow website (which I recommend anyone who's interested in the camera to do as well) and knew what I was getting into, but at the end of the day the camera ended up being a pain-in-the-butt to use (for me) and I learned my lesson about buying a new camera without actually touching it and testing it first.
    I wonder why it wouldn't be in prores? My Ursa can do those frame rates in prores so I don't see why this camera couldn't? Also it can also record in cineform raw which is widely accepted so that should help. Also I have a 8 core CPU so hopefully that will help the transcoding time.

They dropped CineForm RAW with the new Terra models. You only have the option of KineRAW and ProRes.

I don't know the technical reasons, but I recently learned that ProRes at high framerates isn't an easy task.

Your URSA is also a refrigerator compared to the Terra.

ProRes at anything above 1080 30P isn't an easy task in camera. For BMD to jam three different formats into Ursa Mini at HFR, up to 4.6K, is quite a feat. At any price point.

BMD had a pretty sizable jump on everyone because of their broadcast equipment... it was kind of a no brainer to make a camera with all of the hardware and relationships in place.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

That is correct, Scratch can handle it. And by the way, Scratch is way more affordable these days. $75/month, $650/year, or buy it outright for $3000. That's for a full version, no longer limited to Lab. Dailies, color grading, compositing with a lot of format support.

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    ProRes at anything above 1080 30P isn't an easy task in camera. For BMD to jam three different formats into Ursa Mini at HFR, up to 4.6K, is quite a feat. At any price point.

BMD had a pretty sizable jump on everyone because of their broadcast equipment... it was kind of a no brainer to make a camera with all of the hardware and relationships in place.
    Really that's nuts I haven't heard that? The Shogun can do 1080 120p (new one can do 1080 240p i believe) and even the micro cinema camera can do 1080 60p all in prores?

That'd be cool if Kinefinity can do it too plus the I hope they start releasing compressed ratio settings too as I love shooting in 3:1 raw on the URSA.

In the Blackmagic world, ProRes seems normal. But how many other cameras out there shoot ProRes?

Only in the last 1-2 years are you seeing it being implemented into more and more systems.

Even in 2016, three major cameras being released this year are only limited to 2K ProRes.

Varicam LT ($16,500) - RED Raven ($5,950) - RED Scarlet-W ($9950)

With Terra, we're talking about 5K and 6K...that's something.

In the Blackmagic world ProRes seems normal - but how many other cameras out there shoot ProRes?

Only in the last 1-2 years are you seeing it being implemented into more and more systems.

Even in 2016, three major cameras being released this year are only limited to 2K ProRes.

Varicam LT ($16,500), RED Raven ($5,950) and RED Scarlet-W ($9950)

With Terra, we're talking about 5K and 6K...that's something.
    For sure let's not forget about the recorders like Atomos, Convergent Design, Video Devices, etc.