Thread: Problem with BMMCC footage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JLdp View Post
    its about ratios of light, you have two choices, both mentioned here.
    a set of nd filters, then you would have to actually light the interior because yes it will make everything darker. (but you NEED NDs to shoot outside)
    or ND gel the back window, which is not easy, takes time, and trial and error.
    but this is basic photography, so my first thing i would recommend is taking a photography class.
    you cant just expose very dark and very bright environments without balancing out the ratios. ( the sun is much brighter then you think because your eye can handle it and adjust, your camera sensor cant)
    Thank you, JLdp!

If you look at this video from Mattias, he obviously properly exposed the interior without over-exposing the exterior. How was this done?
    https://youtu.be/l6pdBhdDYHk?list=PL...YVchztKCA1&t=7

Thank you again!

it looks to me that the light outside was not direct sun but more ambient and the scene is right in front window utilizing the exterior ambient light.
    in your scene the foreground is much further from the window, getting no light from the window and the sun is much stronger coming from your window.
    so his ratios of light are much closer together and your ratios are much further apart.

think of the light as a scale from 0 to 100, with 0 being total darkness and 100 being blinding light. in your shot, there is a big difference between the dark areas and the light areas. if you want to see the room and the outside, move each closer to 50. you need to add light to the room and filter out light from the outside. the time of day will affect how much light is coming through the window. around sunset there is less light outside. try the shot again later today and you'll see a difference.

after you do that, get yourself an ND filter. screw on the filter, turn on some lights and adjust your exposure accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by JLdp View Post
    it looks to me that the light outside was not direct sun but more ambient and the scene is right in front window utilizing the exterior ambient light.
    in your scene the foreground is much further from the window, getting no light from the window and the sun is much stronger coming from your window.
    so his ratios of light are much closer together and your ratios are much further apart.
    I see, thank you JLdp!

Quote Originally Posted by ugafan View Post
    think of the light as a scale from 0 to 100, with 0 being total darkness and 100 being blinding light. in your shot, there is a big difference between the dark areas and the light areas. if you want to see the room and the outside, move each closer to 50. you need to add light to the room and filter out light from the outside. the time of day will affect how much light is coming through the window. around sunset there is less light outside. try the shot again later today and you'll see a difference.

after you do that, get yourself an ND filter. screw on the filter, turn on some lights and adjust your exposure accordingly.
    Thank you, ugafan! I will definitely try that!

Quote Originally Posted by JanFredriksson View Post
    Thank you, JLdp!

If you look at this video from Mattias, he obviously properly exposed the interior without over-exposing the exterior. How was this done?
    https://youtu.be/l6pdBhdDYHk?list=PL...YVchztKCA1&t=7

Thank you again!
    Mattias Doesn't actually shoot his own stuff.
    It is dropped off for him by a UFO that lands in a corn field near where he lives. He just goes out there once every three days and picks it up.
    He just adds the narrations.
    Obviously it's a mutually beneficial arrangement they have.
    Last edited by DPStewart; 04-12-2016 at 03:15 AM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Senior Member Revdesign Industries's Avatar
    Jan, When you load RAW DNG footage into Davinci, it will automatically apply the "Rec709" LUT to the raw footage, this can be changed in the raw tab settings on the bottom left of the screen, (or for all clips being imported by using the settings)

if you havent changed this setting, then automatically resolve has added contrast and color information to the raw file, (even making the image clip) the thing you want to do is make sure Davinci reads the raw file as "film" mode and then you can Grade from scratch, from as close to a pure raw image as possible. I know i havent explained clearly how to change the setting, but there are other threads here that will explain changing from the default "rec709" to "film" on the Raw file tab, so you can use all the information from the image, and not start from a boosted contrast look.

This wont negate the need for proper balanced lighting. But i just want to be sure you are in full control of how you are seeing the image on screen in Davinci so we can rule out the whole rec709 contrast stuff. Thanks!
    Forrest Schultz
    Atlas Lens Co.
    YouTube///Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Mattias Doesn't actually shoot his own stuff.
    It is dropped off for him by a UFO that lands in a corn filed near where he lives. He just goes out there once every three days and picks it up.
    He just adds the narrations.
    Obviously it's a mutually beneficial arrangement they have.
    Thanks, Stewart! That adds up!

Quote Originally Posted by Revdesign Industries View Post
    Jan, When you load RAW DNG footage into Davinci, it will automatically apply the "Rec709" LUT to the raw footage, this can be changed in the raw tab settings on the bottom left of the screen, (or for all clips being imported by using the settings)

if you havent changed this setting, then automatically resolve has added contrast and color information to the raw file, (even making the image clip) the thing you want to do is make sure Davinci reads the raw file as "film" mode and then you can Grade from scratch, from as close to a pure raw image as possible. I know i havent explained clearly how to change the setting, but there are other threads here that will explain changing from the default "rec709" to "film" on the Raw file tab, so you can use all the information from the image, and not start from a boosted contrast look.

This wont negate the need for proper balanced lighting. But i just want to be sure you are in full control of how you are seeing the image on screen in Davinci so we can rule out the whole rec709 contrast stuff. Thanks!
    Thanks a lot, Forrest!
    I'll try it out ASAP.