Thread: HELP! I need a stabilizer for my BMPCC + sb metabones + Sigma 18-35

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dave Dugdale review of PilotFly H2. Significant improvement over the H1+ it seems.

The problem with several gimbals - especially the smaller single-handle ones - is becoming less the max payload (some of which, like the new PilotFly H2, are 2.2Kg) - and more with the ability to balance a long camera/lens combo. If the camera cannot shift back far enough, it won't be able to balance correctly. As Dave pointed out, even if it initially balances far enough, you still need to ensure it has enough clearance for the eyepiece or other bits on the camera to clear when tilting/swiveling the camera.

The best bet with camera/adapater/long lens combinations is to confirm with actual users whether that combination fits - even after you've verified your specific combination is under (preferably noticeably under) the max payload capacity. In your weight calculations, make sure you include all the bits and pieces you'll be using, like microphone (with batteries), lights, etc.

Keep in mind not everything has to be mounted directly on the camera, so if you have extra mounting points on other parts of the gimbal that don't impact the actual payload (like the H2, which has 2 or 3 mounting points on the lower body), use them if they're appropriate.

Also as Dave points out in his review - a simpler, lighter-weight gimbal setup is going to be best - you have to be able to carry this setup around at the end of it all.

Hate to look like im shilling this product but I received it a week ago and its been amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfaLzaMwlns

Took me about 30 minutes to setup and balance. Now it takes about 15. Im using a Tokina 11-16 with a metabones speedbooster and the micro.

I can tell it actually prefers a little bit more weight so im looking to add a baseplate with 15mm rods.

Can anyone recommend a good one thats compatible with my setup? One that will work with a wireless follow focus system. I feel like the rods would be too front heavy but if they stick too far back they wont let the gimbal move.
    Last edited by SurreaL; 04-07-2016 at 12:01 AM.

The Ronin M and the Varavon Birdycam Lite seem to be about the same price.

And both seem like they would work well for a BMPCC with the Sigma 18-35mm bazooka.

I think we can safely say that NO single-handled gimbal will fly that lens. Especially with the MB Speedbooster on it too.

Now....that's a lot of money.

At this point I would strongly suggest a medium sized SteadyCam-style sled like the LAING that can be had for $285.

Either way - any gimbal or this sled - it's going to be heavy. Not "no way" heavy...just annoying. But it will work.

Liang Stabilizer.jpg
    Last edited by DPStewart; 04-07-2016 at 01:25 AM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Nice recommendation. I have this one. Was looking at the glidecam signature version then found this and glad I didn't blow the extra 500 bucks when the quality is roughly the same.

May I also recommend this arm brace if you go the LAING route.

http://www.amazon.com/Laing-Wrist-Su...rm+brace+laing

Makes life a lot easier.

Also I haven't tried this yet but looks somewhat interesting http://www.snowcamerastabilizer.com/ twin grip stabilizer that uses water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydBb7TMp4SY

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    The Ronin M and the Varavon Birdycam Lite seem to be about the same price.

And both seem like they would work well for a BMPCC with the Sigma 18-35mm bazooka.

I think we can safely say that NO single-handled gimbal will fly that lens. Especially with the MB Speedbooster on it too.

Now....that's a lot of money.

At this point I would strongly suggest a medium sized SteadyCam-style sled like the LAING that can be had for $285.

Either way - any gimbal or this sled - it's going to be heavy. Not "no way" heavy...just annoying. But it will work.

Liang Stabilizer.jpg
    I would be perfect to buy a ronin M or similar. I have seen videos and they look really good but I would like to spend not more than 1000€ .

The weigh of my setup is 1,3 kg. But as you are saying, the problem would be that maybe I cannot put the camera enough to the back.

I have seen videos with my setup and the LAING and they look so good, but I was thinking in a motorized stabilizer... But I will keep on looking for more info about it.

If I don't find a good solution I will have to save more money and buy the ronin m or similar... But... Uff... It's a lot of money.

I have finally decided to save money and buy a Ronin M for my setup. In Amazon Spain seems to have a good price.
    DJI Ronin-M - estabilizadores para cámara https://www.amazon.es/dp/B010LY7PSY/..._fIQcxb2CR149W

Do I need anything else or everything is included to work well with the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Borjare View Post
    I have finally decided to save money and buy a Ronin M for my setup. In Amazon Spain seems to have a good price.
    DJI Ronin-M - estabilizadores para cámara https://www.amazon.es/dp/B010LY7PSY/..._fIQcxb2CR149W

Do I need anything else or everything is included to work well with the camera?
    Great choice, I'm glad you came to it (I was originally a bit worried when you dismissed it as too expensive).
    Perhaps there is a way for you to pay monthly? When I bought mine I was able to split my payments down to £250/month for 6 months. The Ronin-M comes with everything you need and the software is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolin View Post
    Great choice, I'm glad you came to it (I was originally a bit worried when you dismissed it as too expensive).
    Perhaps there is a way for you to pay monthly? When I bought mine I was able to split my payments down to £250/month for 6 months. The Ronin-M comes with everything you need and the software is great.
    I think that I will save money during a few months and I will buy it in Amazon so I won't pay for the shipping.
    It is sure that it will work well with the pocket+metabones+sigma 18-35 isn't it??? With that amount of money I have to be sure that I'm not wrong.

Someone is recommending me the Gremsy h3. Which one is best, the Ronin M or the Gremsy h3. I have seen some videos and it looks really good but I don't know if it's going to support the weigh or not? In the web page it says that it supports up to 3,7 lbs and my setup is around 2,9 or 3lbs.

https://www.gremsy.com/product/gremsy-gstabi-h3

In this video looks great but the lense is smaller than mine
    http://youtu.be/Y6QqG-9NUBE

What do you think?