Thread: Filmconvert For PP or DaVinci?

1. #1 Filmconvert For PP or DaVinci? 
    So I think I'm going to finally purchase FilmConvert but can't decide if I'm going to buy it for Premiere or for DaVinci. I do all my major corrections in DaVinci before exporting Raw to Prores to edit in PP so I am in both programs frequently. What I do wonder is if there's any advantage to using it in either program. Say, if DaVinci is better at handling higher bit rate while coloring and so on.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Turboguard View Post
    So I think I'm going to finally purchase FilmConvert but can't decide if I'm going to buy it for Premiere or for DaVinci. I do all my major corrections in DaVinci before exporting Raw to Prores to edit in PP so I am in both programs frequently. What I do wonder is if there's any advantage to using it in either program. Say, if DaVinci is better at handling higher bit rate while coloring and so on.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!
    Why not buy the bundle for $100 more? You get FilmCovert for multiple platforms including PP and Resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bino View Post
    Why not buy the bundle for $100 more? You get FilmCovert for multiple platforms including PP and Resolve.
    Yeah...I took the hit and did it this way and I'm quite glad I did.
    Makes life easier.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

TL;DR - your brain will love it if you're trying to nail that 'filmic' look.

He's a bit on my creative process to get my look. I get teased on being an 'auteur' as i'm so frantic about a) how I film/shoot b) as that leads to how i'm going to grade c)which leads to how I edit with colour continuity d) and further which piece of music i use. I do all this with Davinci.

Here's why i love it with Davinci. If your flat profile is a bit squished (which i try to aim for) ou won't get crushed blacks/light ping highlights (unless that's what you want!) when you apply a look. You can node up the colours your wants to bring out/alter via the normal process. The micro management can be great if your using a mouse/keyboards to grade and can't get accurate enough. Find your vision.

Worthy purchase. Those film profiles are a really great start to grading. I was explaining to a friend that depending on your age/what kind of films you like your brain has a cinema 'language' throughout - use the vision you have in your head as a start. Again, that language you've built will guide you. I even use it with my EM-5 stills due to the latitude (12 stops can go a long way). It's my hidden weapon - when people want a certain look (voxndot look) this is how.

As always, it also helps to know what to get 'in camera'. I use a BMPCC. S16 is awesome for a bigger DOF in low light. If you're faking Anamorphic, use a 5-10 more wider lens and fix that distortion (if visible). Take a step back - again, your brain use that film language and 'pseudo' anamorphic sticks out like a horses dick when the director/dp hasn't thought about it . FilmConvert is a great tool that helps you along and gets you thinking about the film look. I've given up on the anamorphic adapter as it's not teaching me how to get shots when i'm rushed for time. I lean on it as an 'excuse' to not do more doco/live work. Again - film convert got me thinking about this, the artist process.

XXOO JK

Quote Originally Posted by Bino View Post
    I agree with Bino.
    I also bought the bundle and am very glad I did spend the extra $$.

If you absolutely don't have the cash I'd buy the Davinci version. I tend to finish all projects within Resolve and either use the grain, look or both form Filmconvert at some point along the process. They are great tools but not as necessary in the editing suite (eg. premiere). Specially if you are rendering your dailies for editing in Resolve anyway.

Theo Ribeiro

Nothing against FC. I have it and sometimes still use to generate ideas. However, if you want become a better colorist, learn how to color correct and grade from the ground up in Resolve: Mixinglight.com, Rippletraining.com, or fxphd.com. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stacy View Post
    Nothing against FC. I have it and sometimes still use to generate ideas. However, if you want become a better colorist, learn how to color correct and grade from the ground up in Resolve: Mixinglight.com, Rippletraining.com, or fxphd.com. You won't regret it.
    I think that you should use it for unimportant and quick turnaround projects.