Thread: a7s ii for bmpcc user

1. #1 a7s ii for bmpcc user 
    Hi All,

I recently purchased an a7s ii as I've been booking some jobs that need slow motion, and I'd rented one on another gig and found it serviceable. Does anyone here use this camera, and have any tips for someone coming from a BMPCC background? I've been spoiled on the beautiful raw bmpcc image and I'm finding that the a7s ii is not nearly as forgiving (at least in 120 fps mode).

So far I haven't been able to get great footage in 120 fps mode (primarily what I'm using the camera for) -- but I do see people posting clips on vimeo that look good. So I'm wondering if I need to dial in my settings or adjust my approach.

I've read that slog-2 is better than slog-3 on this camera due to banding issues, and that it's helpful to expose 2 stops over in order to get the most latitude.

Any tips would be appreciated!

I have the A7sii, and I agree with what you've read about slog2 over slog3... slog3 besides the banding requires much more finesse in the grade than slog2.

I shoot (pp7) slog2 / Sgamut3.cine.

and yes expose 2 stops over.

Yea i tried out sony a7sii but when i got my ursa mini 4k and compared it with it i shipped that crap back to adorama lol. Whats the bitrate at 120fps like 50mbps?Its the same price as the ursa mini 4k. Why choose it over the mini?

Quote Originally Posted by jsfilmz View Post
    Yea i tried out sony a7sii but when i got my ursa mini 4k and compared it with it i shipped that crap back to adorama lol. Whats the bitrate at 120fps like 50mbps?Its the same price as the ursa mini 4k. Why choose it over the mini?

Size, stabilization, 120fps, low light beast... and no FPN. 4K has huge FPN problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Size, stabilization, 120fps, low light beast... and no FPN. 4K has huge FPN problem.

Agreed, at least that was my check list.

Quote Originally Posted by jsfilmz View Post
    100 Mbps, it's most def usable even if you think the camera is crap, but maybe that was sarcasm. Either way the OP chose the A7sii as a second camera, why answer his quest for tips with " You bought a crap camera "?

Also your feedback on cost isnt accurate, the Ursa requires battery plate, batteries, and cfast, that take the Ursa way past the 2700.00 that BHphoto had the A7sii for a month or so ago. With all that said, the two cameras are apples and oranges, he chose the apple theyre both good for you!
    Last edited by ARTnVIDEO; 03-25-2016 at 10:00 AM.