Thread: Upscale 1080p footaget to zoom in?

1. #1 Upscale 1080p footaget to zoom in? 
    This might sound like a silly question but if I had 1080p pocket footage of an interview
    and wanted to zoom the footage in about 15%ish (essentially giving me a wide and tight)
    would I gain anything at all if I upscaled the original footage to 4K first?
    I assume it would be the exact same but at the same time it seems like technically it would help.

Final delivery would be 1080p.

Thanks guys. I know it's an oddball question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip View Post
    This might sound like a silly question but if I had 1080p pocket footage of an interview
    and wanted to zoom the footage in about 15%ish (essentially giving me a wide and tight)
    would I gain anything at all if I upscaled the original footage to 4K first?
    I assume it would be the exact same but at the same time it seems like technically it would help.

Final delivery would be 1080p.

Thanks guys. I know it's an oddball question.
    Short answer? No.

Think of pixels as ping pong balls. If you've got 1920 of them in a row, and then stretch them out 4k width, whatever program you use to do this has to create pixels to jam into the extra space. These apps do this by looking at the original pixels in the area and averaging their data into a new pixel. This is why upscaling often gets soft - it's simply made up data.

Just push in on your original data until it stops looking tolerable, then back out a little and that's what you get.

Probably not. But if yiu shot it on the Micro Studio in UHD, then zoom in post and then render it down to HD, then you would not see any loss. I saw a examp,e of this doen on a jib boom Micro shot of a concert, worked great.

Taking a Vacation
    If you shot raw you could probably push in a bit and fudge it but the footage will take a hit regardless. You really need to nail it with 1080 these days.

Thanks guys. I figured as such but thought with the crazy algorithms they come up with these days it was worth asking.

you can add a bit of sharpening in resolve to the footage you zoomed in to make it a little less soft and you should get away with it.

Rip, I'm not sure if you will be happy ups along HD to UHD. That's a lot of missing data to generate. Colour might be okay, but detail will not likely work generally speaking. Of course it depends on the footage. But you originally said you wanted to increase 15%. ARRI does something close to that to generate 4K output from their 3.4K sensor, so I think you'll be happier just doing the limited upscale.