Thread: Sony CineAlta Primes

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

That's it.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

BMCuser Sponsor
    Anyone needs to rent a set of these in Los Angeles please get in touc - dan mrpolaroid@gmail.com

Haven't had a chance to film much in the last year. Here are a few screengrabs using the Cinealta glass. There is a color grade and there was a lot of handheld and dance movement, so I'd be careful to judge sharpness and highlight handling off of these stills.
    Shot on the Ursa Mini. Love the glass so far. Smooth bokeh and very usable wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInternet View Post
    Haven't had a chance to film much in the last year. Here are a few screengrabs using the Cinealta glass. There is a color grade and there was a lot of handheld and dance movement, so I'd be careful to judge sharpness and highlight handling off of these stills.
    Shot on the Ursa Mini. Love the glass so far. Smooth bokeh and very usable wide open.
    These look really good. Really like the images I have seen coming off this glass.

Still far and away the most impressive lenses I've ever seen at anywhere near the price.....If you can live with the size.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyDem View Post
    These look really good. Really like the images I have seen coming off this glass.
    Thanks, there's really nothing bad I can point out in terms of image quality. They're sharp, show no intrusive CA, have good flare control, a smooth lens flare characteristic, good color matching, etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Still far and away the most impressive lenses I've ever seen at anywhere near the price.....If you can live with the size.
    Yeah the size is a negative for sure, I don't take these on run and guns.

Very good price for the complete set, very good performance. For smaller and lighter lenses with very good performance, I've gone with the set of SLR Magic APO lenses. Currently only 25mm, 50mm, 85mm with a 32mm coming in the 4th quarter I expect and more next year.

Quote Originally Posted by UTR-Labs View Post
    Recently we acquired a new Sony CineAlta 25mm T2 prime lens (latest version) and were blown away by how nice this lens is. So much so we just ordered a full set of 6. We primarily shot on Pockets, and this CineAlta was amazing. Reminded me of a perfect mix of a Zeiss UltraPrime and a Cooke S4 - very sharp but not clinically so. Beautiful focus falloff. No CA whatsoever. None. When we tested the 25mm Sony against a 24mm Xeen it was clear the Sony lens was superior in every way.

I'll post some video this week.

Okay, all this blathering is getting to a point: If you're considering getting a set of Xeen's you MUST check out the Sony CineAlta's first - they're only fractionally more expensive than the Xeen's and are vastly superior in every way.

And just to clarify, I'm talking about the latest version of the CineAlta's, not to be confused with the first version, which were mostly plastic.

Can't wait to use these CineAlta's on our new 4.6k's.
    I agree, I have the full set of six - the first three (35, 50,85) are the v1 plastic and the second three (20, 25,135) are the Cinealta 4K metal housing. The plastic ones are actually very good as well - same optics just plastic housings. The downside of the plastic is that they are not as robust to deal with rough handling over time, but the upside is they are much, much lighter so nice for handheld, gimbal work etc.. Mine are brand new as of a couple months ago and would be happy to rent them out if someone wants to try them out.

Here's the test I did with these lenses. I really love the Bokeh and shaprness. Mostly 20mm, 25mm, and some 35mm. You can also see two Bladelights in action. Really love those lights.