Thread: Dimensions for Ursa Mini with Blackmagic Top Handle, Shoulder Pad and Viewfinder

1. #1 Dimensions for Ursa Mini with Blackmagic Top Handle, Shoulder Pad and Viewfinder 
    Does anybody have the total outside dimensions of an Ursa Mini kitted out with the Blackmagic Shoulder Kit and Viewfinder? The dimensions of the bare camera with side handle is 7.61 (W) x 8.23 (L) x 5.78 (H) inches according to the official website.

Going off a stock image and measuring in Photoshop it looks like the height would be about 10 inches.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a couple large hard cases for all my stuff. The Pelican Storm iM2950 caught my eye as it's one of the largest cases that will take TrekPak dividers (with some foam here and there). ~10.5 inches of interior height would be cutting it close though for a rigged Ursa Mini. I'll have to get a new matte box/handles as even my current set for my BMPCC wouldn't quite fit. Ugh I hate disassembling/re-assembling rigs.

Here's an iM2950. I like what this guy did with his boompole.

Last edited by blommer; 02-14-2016 at 06:37 PM.

I would think something that would take a 12" interior would be safer. I agree that the rigged height looks like about 10" so I'd think 10.5" interior isn't going to afford sufficient protection from impact shock. Let us know what you find after you have the case and camera!

With handle and pad, it's aprx. 10.5

The EVF adds about the same amount as the sidehandle

Rick and Frank, thanks. I agree with you Rick, even with a smaller top handle it's probably better to go with the iM2750 with 12.7 in of interior height or the iM2975 with 13.8 in of interior height. This guy on reduser made his own DIY TrekPak dividers so I may try that when I get my case.

The iM2750 is likely enough if all you want is the top handle/shoulder mount attached while transporting. The other dimensions 22" X 17" may not allow for everything else you want to put it there, but I think it may work. The iM2975 would have some room to spare for future growth. Sort of like our car garages, in time you always fill whatever room you have!

Blommer,

I followed Curt's DIY TrekPak instructions and made my own. Worked out okay. Man, it was hard to cut straight lines. Using a metal straight edge, the blade seemed to wander a bit. Curt PMed me with a little additional advice. After gluing both sides, put some weight on it for a bit and allow it to dry. Also don't skimp on the spray adhesive. Use the 3M 77.

IMG_7555.jpgIMG_7553.jpg

Herb, that's awesome. I'm thinking about doing that for my Lightstorm LED panels too. But I need to be careful or this thing's gonna be 100 pounds before I realize what I've done.

The pic doesn't show that it is wheeled. It also is parts of a three box system that in total is $130 ($99 on sale). It breaks down, spreading the weight out among three cases. They all fit in the trunk of my car.

Rigid 22" Pro Gear Cart

15fdb848-2eb5-4413-a6b1-280ef980d5eb_1000.jpg

Right now it weighs 46 lbs. In it I have the two LS-1 lights, their wall power bricks, 4 Manfrotto nano stands, long mic cables and a 6' corded power tree.

In the middle box: A Lowel Pro light, the two LS-1 controllers, Weifeng fluid head, a mini grip head, AAs in the removable storage bins from the top case - custom cut wooden shelf divider making it two tier - 2 V-Locks in a bag, 7" Monitor in a bag, 2 Aputure 198s

Top box: Wireless 7" monitor setup in a bag, a couple of mins and accessories.

Side note: the LS-1 controllers fit perfectly in the padded cases that came with the 198 lights.

Also I used padded bags I had lying around for protection, since the cases don't come with foam.

The cases are super tough. Much tougher than any other toolboxes I've seen.
    Last edited by Herb; 02-15-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Herb, I found 4mm corrugated plastic sheets at Home Depot but where did you get your foam? I found this 2LB closed-foam on eBay.

That's the stuff. I was going to order that very thing, but I got impatient and got mine from a nearbywholesale / commercial supplier. They only had white 3/16", so that's what I got. I orderd the sprinkler stakes from HD.