Thread: Forum Improvements

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Forums don't usually just die. They gradually worsen as good users drift away because it becomes less worthwhile to participate. Usually because of inactive or poor moderation.

I have to bring up reddit again. The forum rot effect happens all the time on subreddits at reddit. Subreddits are essentially their own communities with their own moderators. Once a year or so, reddit will change which subreddits become "default." Default subreddits then show up on the front page to all new users and users who haven't subscribed to any specific subreddit community. These subreddits so often turn toxic as trolls and newbies run wild and mature users move on to other communities.

Trolls exist because it's so easy to be a jerk. A small fee would force trolls to pay money to be a jerk. Few, if any, would do that. It would also put less of a burden on moderation.

After spending at least $1,000 on a cinema camera, why wouldn't you pay $5 to join a community of professionals?
    Last edited by blommer; 02-14-2016 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blommer View Post
    Forums don't usually just die. They gradually worsen as good users drift away because it becomes less worthwhile to participate. Usually because of inactive or poor moderation.

I have to bring up reddit again. The forum rot effect happens all the time on subreddits at reddit. Subreddits are essentially their own communities with their own moderators. Once a year or so, reddit will change which subreddits because "default." Default subreddits then show up on the front page to all new users and users who haven't subscribed to any specific subreddit community. These subreddits so often turn toxic as trolls and newbies run wild and mature users move on to other communities.

Trolls exist because it's so easy to be a jerk. A small fee would force trolls to pay money to be a jerk. Few, if any, would do that. It would also put less of a burden on moderation.

After spending at least $1,000 on a cinema camera, why wouldn't you pay $5 to join a community of professionals?
    Hear here!

Well said Sir.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I'd pay a $5 fee. I'll throw down for DPStewart's cover charge too.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: VIMEO

Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    I'd pay a $5 fee. I'll throw down for DPStewart's cover charge too.
    Aww man!
    Makin' me look broke 'n front of everyone... again.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

How old is DVXuser?
    I think it's doing well, I don't see it rottening, neither does this community. It's really not that bad and in a way inevitable anyway.

In general I prefer the usual amount of trolls over a closed, quite community.
    That said, if changes are needed to stop a group of members from dispersing valuable people like John Brawley than that should be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    How old is DVXuser?
    Copyright says 2003.

I agree, there is some,validity to using "real names" to keep a forum civil. Even thought have been around the industry for many years, seen lots of changes, mostly good, the one change I find most exciting, is the current availability of excellent tools/cameras/software available for a majority of people who can mow participate in film making, that a few years ago would not have been possible. Having no technology to easily share ones experiences and knowledge quicklymismeven more exciting. We need to keep experienced people involved in the forum to help those with less experience, or just starting out to learn and be exposed to a variety of ideas, so they can learn and grow. Even with my level of experience, I have learned a lot about the newer technology available by participating in this forum. No one person knows everything, but get a diverse group of talented people together, and anything can happen!

I also do not appreciate people who are disruptive, add no real information, or are out to just discredit an idea, member, or piece of equipment just because they do not personally "like it/them" or are just "trolling" just to be disruptive. I know, I have taken breaks from or stopped reading a particular theead when the "mud slinging" gets to be too much. I value the imputation experienced people currently working in the industry from members like John Brawley or Capt.Hook, and others who contribute valuable information here. Loosing members like them to disruptive behavior by a few would,be a grea loss.

If it takes an annual "membership fee" count me in. I think a member should register with their real names, but have the ability to use an online "handle" in the forum. Their real,identity could be "private" available only to the Moderators, or "public" and available by clicking on their forum name as we do now by registered users only. This way, ones comments would have a level of accountability and might keep "general trollers" at bay. However, using real names seems to work on other forums (like the BM Forum) but, it does not totally eliminate disruptive behavior or trolling. When I see this type of behavior, I just ignore it, and move on. If you do not "fuel a fire", it will eventually go out.
    Cheers

Taking a Vacation
    Real names, paid membership and sub forums...all for it. But we've been asking for these things for years Mods. What makes this thread any different or the requests more important than any of the other ones of the years?

The voting idea on threads and posts is interesting.

I'd also love to see repeated threads closed and the conversation moved to existing threads. This alone would clean up this forum immensely. Now of course if the original thread is a year old or so but we're seeing the same question asked over and over again on here relentlessly within days of one another or weeks. There's absolutely no reason to allow that and it just spreads out the knowledge and responses to multiple places.

i vote against real names and paid membership. i think a lot of the problems can be resolved simply by enforcing the current forum rules. if a person persists in making personal attacks, ban them.

Senior Member Michael Sandiford's Avatar
    I vote for real names. Happy to pay a signing up fee if needed.