Thread: Forum Improvements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Please no entry fee.
    There are people who seldomly post or just register to post a in a certain thread but actually do have something to contribute to the community.
    The long timers should easily be able to handle repeating posts ect, no big deal.

You can see the Up-Down voting system in action on sites like Daily Mail. Only registered users can comment on articles, but everyone can vote green or red arrow - no need to register. Generally, if someone is 'trolling' you will always see a strong reaction. Likewise, thoughtful comments generally get a strong positive reaction.

A negative side effect of this system are people just fishing for strong reactions, feedback in general. Given that this community is much smaller it might work very well though.

I've been here from the beginning and still like this community a lot. There has been some more intense discussions lately but when BM ship the new cameras they should run dry, I don't think the mods need to interfere more than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Abrams View Post
    Wouldn't it be balanced out by others agreeing and up-voting that post? If the general consensus is to down vote a post because others disagree, then it's not a popular opinion with the greater community and getting hidden makes sense because they don't want to see it. It's only flawed for those who post things most don't agree with, which is what the system wants to protect against. So it's actually working.
    Up-voting happens if the citizens of the forum are mindful voters and take action. Sometimes it's not something to be bothered with.

It's flawed in the sense that it's not accurate. People can be too vote-happy and you'll see simple posts hidden that should have not been (over camera quality, features, technical details, etc.)

Yesterday, a guy posted issues he had with a camera very politely without trolling and was down-voted immediately and the post was hidden. But then to your point, a bunch of people up-voted it and stuck up for him. Doesn't always happen though.

BMCuser is more aggressive than DVXuser, so I can just picture threads filled with hidden posts and having to expand them constantly to see what was said, lol.

But that then only applies to the posts...not sure how JB or others would want to tie in a "strike" system into that.

I actually don't care about any of it though...don't think anything needs to be changed here.

I'm not 100% convinced of up-voting/down-voting, but I'm thinking of how it could work.

I think if it was an incredibly easy one-click up-vote, but a much more difficult 3 step process to down-vote, that could help. For instance, you would need to click down-vote, then type in a 2 line reason why, and then you would have to enter your username and password. That would keep people from being too twitchy to down-vote (but still easy enough for those who mean it or are really determined). Plus, your name is associated with it.

The main change I think we need is accountability. If you're going to post something, it should be something you've thought about for at least 30 seconds and is something you'll stand by. If it's just stream-of-consciousness aggression, then you should be held accountable for that too. These barbs thrown in the dark are a real buzz kill.

It's just cameras, people. Cam-er-as.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post

I actually don't care about any of it though...don't think anything needs to be changed here.
    I do.

I know from my own personal experience I don't post as much as I'd like to and want to.

I know of other long time users who feel exactly the same. Maybe that's the way you like it, but I think it means you're missing out on the opinions of those that have the most to offer, no matter if you like their views or not.

It's unfortunate that those that have that experience are perceived to be apologists or deniers. A label I also detest. For example the recent "discovery" about the Jody Eldred footage. I was 96% sure it was the wrong LUT. The blacks were lifted and blue. The chroma was so over cooked it looked like lens chromatic aberration. Clearly it wasn't graded properly or processed. But you get everybody jumpin up and down saying it's a camera fault and there's a major problem. You post to say it's the wrong LUT and you get called a "defender", "the usual crowd", "a naysayer" and "apologist". These are all labels that have beed directed at me. Of course if you respond in kind you're denigrated for lowering the tone and calling someone a name. You have your ethics questioned and challenged, all of which detracts from the actual issue at hand. It's that kind of crap that to me makes me dis-inclined to post. It's not about the issue but about questioning credibility. Maybe I should be more resilient but why should I ?

I want to be able to share information, debate and contribute in a positive way to the shared knowledge we can all bring in a discourse about the camera, workflow and processes. It should be pretty self evident where we all stand in terms of relationships to brand or others. And yet we still get these shitty petty squabbles. I engage only because I also hate to see BS stand when I know there's another more plausible version. But it's a pretty heavy price.

A real name means in my experience you're much less likely to post crap, and even if you do, we can search the name and work out if you're someone deserving of weighting for perspective or experience or some blow hard. It increases the level of accountability for what you say.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I do.

I know from my own personal experience I don't post as much as I'd like to and want to.

I know of other long time users who feel exactly the same. Maybe that's the way you like it, but I think it means you're missing out on the opinions of those that have the most to offer, no matter if you like their views or not.

It's unfortunate that those that have that experience are perceived to be apologists or deniers. A label I also detest. For example the recent "discovery" about the Jody Eldred footage. I was 96% sure it was the wrong LUT. The blacks were lifted and blue. The chroma was so over cooked it looked like lens chromatic aberration. Clearly it wasn't graded properly or processed. But you get everybody jumpin up and down saying it's a camera fault and there's a major problem. You post to say it's the wrong LUT and you get called a "defender", "the usual crowd", "a naysayer" and "apologist". These are all labels that have beed directed at me. Of course if you respond in kind you're denigrated for lowering the tone and calling someone a name. You have your ethics questioned and challenged, all of which detracts from the actual issue at hand. It's that kind of crap that to me makes me dis-inclined to post. It's not about the issue but about questioning credibility. Maybe I should be more resilient but why should I ?

I want to be able to share information, debate and contribute in a positive way to the shared knowledge we can all bring in a discourse about the camera, workflow and processes. It should be pretty self evident where we all stand in terms of relationships to brand or others. And yet we still get these shitty petty squabbles. I engage only because I also hate to see BS stand when I know there's another more plausible version. But it's a pretty heavy price.

A real name means in my experience you're much less likely to post crap, and even if you do, we can search the name and work out if you're someone deserving of weighting for perspective or experience or some blow hard. It increases the level of accountability for what you say.

JB
    I feel EXACTLY this same way about the whole experience.

Even just going over to Blackmagic's own forum is a much more civil and productive environment.
    Although that place really could use some new curtains.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I do.

They have this saying around my parts: "This city will eat you alive".

Maybe, "This forum will eat you (people) alive...".

I personally love to learn and I want to hear everyone's thoughts.

You should always post as much as you'd like to and want to. Your knowledge is priceless. I don't think any experienced mind/poster should stop posting just because the going gets tough...you see how thankful people are when you answer questions and/or share your knowledge. So appreciated.

On a side note, I did always wonder if people made up names on other forums...

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post

On a side note, I did always wonder if people made up names on other forums...
    I'm sure they do.

But again, you can vet who they are.

JB

i could be completely oblivious to this stuff because it's not directed at me or maybe i have much thicker skin than a normal human being, but what are people saying that is so horrible? making all these people change their screen names or charging a fee to post here seems like a bit of an overreaction to me.

regarding criticism, there are always going to be critical people in this world. all i can say is don't let that stuff get you down. you know who you are as a professional and what you're about. what you contribute far outweighs whatever negative thing someone says about you.

Quote Originally Posted by ugafan View Post
    i could be completely oblivious to this stuff because it's not directed at me or maybe i have much thicker skin than a normal human being, but what are people saying that is so horrible? making all these people change their screen names or charging a fee to post here seems like a bit of an overreaction to me.

regarding criticism, there are always going to be critical people in this world. all i can say is don't let that stuff get you down. you know who you are as a professional and what you're about. what you contribute far outweighs whatever negative thing someone says about you.
    Trolls, dicks, people who use FAR more aggressive language than they normally would if their REAL NAME was being attached to it...
    Also people who are keyboard warriors who aren't really actually in the business nor really engaging in the craft this forum focuses on, but like to spew garbage toward anyone and everyone - a simple $5 initial joining fee stops almost ALL of that type.

No one is saying "Oh, it's so bad I cannot come post here at all!" ...it ain't that.
    But when there is enough of the garbage postings and comments - many people just no longer WANT to as much anymore. And most of the people that feel that way are the more experienced ones - the ones who we all gain SO MUCH from on a forum like this.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Trolls, dicks, people who use FAR more aggressive language than they normally would if their REAL NAME was being attached to it...
    you think that way because you're a nice guy. trust me, if someone is a tool in real life, having their "real name" attached won't stop them from being a jerk.

my perception is the vast majority of people here are decent and only a very small minority act like jerks.