Thread: DIY s.bus controller for Micro Camera and new menu structure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 DIY s.bus controller for Micro Camera and new menu structure 
    Finally review of a new menu structure in Micro camera. The new s.Bus triggers control looks great.

After some research i find few strange tiny controllers
    Also i plane to use 15pin angle VGA adapter for more compact cable management

Did anyone skileld in RC and electronics can tell something about how to connect them to future BMMCC? Are they usable at all?
    I think everyone would like to get few external buttons for WB, shutter, ISO

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    s-l500.jpg

Yes it would be very easy to achieve controls through s.bus protocol and it should be very reliable. I have a Futaba transmitter and some microcontrollers for this, but I'm still waiting for the micro cinema camera. Hands tied XD

The ebay list you found are the flight controllers for the small quadcopters. You need some kind of a transmitter like Futaba of Frsky, pair with a receiver, and connect the Micro to the receiver, just like what they showed on the BMD website.

Actually I'm wondering whether we can get a responsive and precise focus pull with s.bus, if it turns out to be ok, I may end up making a wireless follow focus for it, using a microcontroller and a high precision encoder.

Quote Originally Posted by gsenroc View Post
    Actually I'm wondering whether we can get a responsive and precise focus pull with s.bus, if it turns out to be ok, I may end up making a wireless follow focus for it, using a microcontroller and a high precision encoder.
    Keep us posted on your wireless follow focus project... this is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gsenroc View Post
    Yes it would be very easy to achieve controls through s.bus protocol and it should be very reliable. I have a Futaba transmitter and some microcontrollers for this, but I'm still waiting for the micro cinema camera. Hands tied XD

The ebay list you found are the flight controllers for the small quadcopters. You need some kind of a transmitter like Futaba of Frsky, pair with a receiver, and connect the Micro to the receiver, just like what they showed on the BMD website.

I'm new to s.bus, but I'm wondering if you know of a good resource for learning the bits and pieces of putting together a custom transmitter. I'm curious about building custom controllers (for ergonomics) rather than relying on a Futaba remote and/or buying a Futaba just to dismantle it.

so its controller for another wireless controller, means its not the thing i search for. i search for a small wired box with few buttons to plug it to that VGA port to controll the camera. in perfect DIY world external buttons of that controller can be placed inside of the 3D printed handle for the Micro camera.

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    so its controller for another wireless controller, means its not the thing i search for. i search for a small wired box with few buttons to plug it to that VGA port to controll the camera. in perfect DIY world external buttons of that controller can be placed inside of the 3D printed handle for the Micro camera.
    Since the BMMCC supports several different protocols there's going to be a few possible solutions to any given problem.

For extension handles, or anything that's right at the camera, LANC is probably going to be the go-to solution. Arduino-based LANC controllers have already been built for the BMCC and BMPCC.

LANC can't control WB, shutter, ISO

Okay, so I've spent a pretty big chunk of my day researching this, and here's what I've found.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2420473

This is a chunk of code for Arduino that translates input into s.bus output.

It's not complete, still needs the input code relevant to whatever device used for input, but this is the thing that should, in theory, make it all go.

Hardware wise you'll need whatever inputs you plan on using, an Arduino microprocessor, and an inverter (the s.bus signal is sent out over the serial port, which is the wrong polarity for s.bus and thus needs to be flipped).

Now, if you only want extra buttons for 4 things it's WAY easier, as the Micro has four PWM inputs, many Arduino models come with a number of PWM outputs, and there's already tons and tons and tons of tutorials out there for linking up a switch or pot whatever to PWM. As far as I know PWM allows for control of everything that s.bus does, and it can be mixed and matched with LANC controls.

What's unfortunately unknown until someone with an interest in the expansion port starts actually fussing with this stuff is exactly how control can be expressed. In particular I'm thinking of white balance. Mapping white balance to a control is a little vague in terms of what that actually lets you do. Is it "set white balance", is it "cycle preset white balance", or can it be mapped to a pot that dials in a specific temperature?

Well done FoldableHuman, that's exactly how people are implementing s.bus in DIY projects. the inverter can be found in some hobby shop like here:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ion_Cable.html

we don't need to design the inverter by ourselves, but it's easy to do so.

BMD doesn't give us any data about the mapping between the s.bus and the settings. say if we use channel 5 for WB, what's the input of channel 5 if I need 3200K? I read through the manual of the Micro Studio, but didn't find anything like that, all I know is that we can choose different channels for the setting.

one potential problem, is that we don't know the latency of the Micro Cinema, how fast it will respond to the s.bus. If it's less than 100ms then it may still able to used for real time focusing, but we never know until we get our hands on it.

LANC seems to have some latency, I saw some videos that shows the latency, seems not possible for real time focusing though.

It would probably be a better idea half the time to build a mechanical servo-actuated follow focus and connect that directly to the control box as s.bus or PWM. There's already a big ??? as to how well BM's focusing supports a variety of lenses, and a mechanical system that doesn't rely on the Micro being willing to talk to the lens has the added benefit of working with full manual cine lenses. The downside is added bulk and weight.