Thread: Mini SDI-cable stuck on Video Assist?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Mini SDI-cable stuck on Video Assist? 
    Hi guys,

I might be retarded, but I'm unable to unattach my mini SDI-cable from the Video Assist. Is there a special way these cables twist off or something? The part that screwed on just keeps spinning endlessly when I try to twist it, without actually coming loose. I've tried unattaching it for a good hour now and am beginning to question my intelligence. Anyone had this same problem? I can post pictures.

For reference: I bought this cable (which works great, btw): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Male-BNC-to-...:X:AAQ:US:1123

Thanks!

Hugo

Ouch!

I have had this happen to me twice on other equipment (Non BMD) but the problem ended up being the mini-sdi connector itself. In both cases we had to disassemble the cable and the connector piece by piece to get it off. Yes - I mean we had to destroy the cable and the connector.
    It took a bit of time and surgical dismantling of the connector.

I hope that's not your problem, and that someone with a Video Assist will chime in here soon.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Hugovandijke View Post
    The part that screwed on just keeps spinning endlessly when I try to twist it, without actually coming loose.
    Have you ever been able to get this cable off?
    You don't normally twist or screw them on/off. You "pull" back the part that seems like it might twist/screw. Some cables can be difficult, but you should be able to do it.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Yep I have the same cable, just pull the part that you were spinning. These actually don't thread onto the SDI port at all. Push and Pull like Hook said.
    if its still not disconnecting....time for surgery!

Surgery!

Surgery!.jpg
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    Have you ever been able to get this cable off?
    You don't normally twist or screw them on/off. You "pull" back the part that seems like it might twist/screw. Some cables can be difficult, but you should be able to do it.
    Damn - then it really is stuck. There is no movement in the cable, no matter how hard I pull. I actually just received the cable, popped in on and here we are. Haven't tried it on anything else.

Would hate to 'perform surgery' on the brand new VA. I might leave the cable on, even though that is less than ideal..

Quote Originally Posted by Hugovandijke View Post
    Damn - then it really is stuck. There is no movement in the cable, no matter how hard I pull. I actually just received the cable, popped in on and here we are. Haven't tried it on anything else.
    I've had some stubborn ones before, but never one stuck. Try "pinching" the end as close to the VA as you can get your fingers tips, then give it a good pull. One cable i had to push and pull a few times before it came off, and from then it was fine.
    I made a quick vid to show you how the connector has a tiny bit of movement for "releasing", i give it a push and pull to show it's on securely, then show "pinching" it when it's on the VA to get it off. Hopefully helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-H...ew?usp=sharing
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

I just had this happen with one of the early style SDI DIN connectors. I took a pair of needle nose and griped the connector ring close to the VA, then pried back, and the cable popped off -- this cable works OK on the Shuttle, going to not use it on the VA again. The new Carnare SDI Din cables I just got from B&H work much better, you can feel the slide dollar move back and forth, and release is quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    I just had this happen with one of the early style SDI DIN connectors. I took a pair of needle nose and griped the connector ring close to the VA, then pried back, and the cable popped off -- this cable works OK on the Shuttle, going to not use it on the VA again. The new Carnare SDI Din cables I just got from B&H work much better, you can feel the slide dollar move back and forth, and release is quick and easy.
    THIS WORKED!

Thank you all for all the trouble (really appreciate you taking the time to make that video, Hook). Turned out the cable needed some very strong pinching and pulling at the same time. My fingers couldn't quite reach it, but the needle nose did. Will be purchasing a new cable - thanks for that advice too.

Thanks again!