Thread: Flanders Scientific and SmallHD compatability issue

1. #1 Flanders Scientific and SmallHD compatability issue 
    I'd love to hear thoughts if any of you have Flanders Scientific monitors or SmallHD, or even if you have neither.

I own a Flanders Scientific CM171 17" client monitor and just a few days ago received my SmallHD 702.
    I didn't find out till after I received it that it has a compatibility issue with Flanders monitors (and possibly others)
    in which they won't see each other.

Wanting to use the 702 onboard, and the Flanders back at Video village this will obviously be a problem.
    I contacted both and received emails back.

I wanted to share them here for possible advice since other than the compatibility problem I very much like each one and what each has to offer.

----
    SmallHd's response:
    "As far as what I have come to understand is that the issue is not one so easily solvable. Our engineers have invested a good amount of time trying to find a resolution but either the hardware is limited or the fix is unknown. We have put the notice on the site so that people can know what to expect.
    If you are reliant on the monitor working with a Flanders, I cannot promise it will happen. I hope they will eventually have a fix, but I have no ETA nor guarantee at this time "
    ----
    Flanders Scientific's response:

"FSI monitors are not just "compatible" with incoming signal formats like consumer and prosumer sets, but actually lock onto the incoming SDI signal and display it as such, which will be important in order to detect potential signal format issues, and ultimately to prevent bigger problems downstream in the workflow.

We have analyzed the physical layer of the SDI signal from a SmallHD HDMI to SDI converter with our Omnitek testgear and found it to be far out of spec. We have been in contact with SmallHD on this, and have looked into "widening" the tolerance on our end, but to date no workable solution was found.

It is possible that this will get solved in future firmware releases, but technically it is kind of a dilemma on our end between offering compatibility with this popular product and to maintain a reference grade product line of monitors, and at this time I don't have any concrete timetable for a solution to this incompatibility."

----

I'd love to hear if you happen to own both or even just one and how you're dealing with it.
    It does look like I'll have to return the 702 simply because it should still be under a return policy. I love what it has to offer, but if
    it's "far out of spec" that would worry me for future problems as well with any monitor/camera.

If I do return it, what other options are you guys using out there that has as many bells and whistles as the 702?
    (I absolutely love that it takes canon and sony L mount at the same time, output luts, and the "page" system)

I sold my TvLogic 5.6" to get the 702. Looking to move forward not backwards.

Thanks for the input.

Maybe wait for the video devices pix-e7? It has LUT and records 4k to affordable msata media

ive actually had issues with the pocket camera, to a tv logic (hdmi to sdi) and a 502 to any monitor. it was determined to be the signal coming from the camera. though it worked when i went direct hdmi to the panasonic 17 inch.
    did you try the 702 with another non-BM camera, like a 5d or something?
    id be curious, i have a feeling it might be the camera's output. at least it was for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JLdp View Post
    ive actually had issues with the pocket camera, to a tv logic (hdmi to sdi) and a 502 to any monitor. it was determined to be the signal coming from the camera. though it worked when i went direct hdmi to the panasonic 17 inch.
    did you try the 702 with another non-BM camera, like a 5d or something?
    id be curious, i have a feeling it might be the camera's output. at least it was for me.
    JLdp, I actually haven't even experienced this issue yet as the 702 just arrived yesterday. I didn't notice till after I bought the 702 that on SmallHD's FAQ's page they list the problem.
    That is when I decided to contact both manufacturers.

After going back and forth with Flanders today..
    It seems that there is an issue with the cross conversion working properly.
    My fix, since I really do like the 702's features is to keep it..and when I need cross conversion I'll use my external atomos hdmi to sdi converter I keep with the Flanders monitor (the flanders doesn't have HDMI).

Quote Originally Posted by Rip View Post
    JLdp, I actually haven't even experienced this issue yet as the 702 just arrived yesterday. I didn't notice till after I bought the 702 that on SmallHD's FAQ's page they list the problem.
    That is when I decided to contact both manufacturers.

After going back and forth with Flanders today..
    It seems that there is an issue with the cross conversion working properly.
    My fix, since I really do like the 702's features is to keep it..and when I need cross conversion I'll use my external atomos hdmi to sdi converter I keep with the Flanders monitor (the flanders doesn't have HDMI).
    yup, for some reason the signal out of the pocket for me couldnt be cross converted on a smallhd or tv logic onboard, exact same setup and my 5D worked. boned me for one production, just had to go straight hdmi to hdmi to a panasonic 17 inch for the director. BM support blamed my tv logic, then i got the 502 and it did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JLdp View Post
    yup, for some reason the signal out of the pocket for me couldnt be cross converted on a smallhd or tv logic onboard, exact same setup and my 5D worked. boned me for one production, just had to go straight hdmi to hdmi to a panasonic 17 inch for the director. BM support blamed my tv logic, then i got the 502 and it did the same thing.
    I've run into this with the GH4 as well every single time. tv logic wont cross convert nor a small hd ac7.
    Good to know it's not just the GH4 but other ones to look out for. Surprisingly when I owned a pocket the tvlogic did convert "ok" for me. (slightly glitchy).

I realize this thread has been collecting dust for a year but I thought I'd share that I have a CM171 as well as a SmallHD 702 Bright, and there are no issues at all with signals between them. All is good!