Thread: Calibrate the screen of Video assist and URSA mini?

1. #1 Calibrate the screen of Video assist and URSA mini? 
    Hello, i recently got some of the last products of BMD, the vewfinder, the URSA mini 4k and also the video assist.
    I'm struggling calibrating those screen, they are all greenthe one of the URSA is a major problem, its like really green, not only a slight dominante, but its impossible to set up light without a external monitor (i use Shogun and DP7 for the moment).
    I cant find a away to solve this problem, can you guys know how to fix it?
    Last edited by puzzlevideo; 12-06-2015 at 05:37 PM.

This thing is driving me crazy. I just can't play with the saturation/contrast/brightness tu get rid of the teint. And it always a green teint on all the screens.

So I contacted BMD, they told me that many clients have this issue and their thech guys are trying to find a solution. They'll be back at me when they find a way to calibrate...
    It could take for ever imo.

interesting, because at NAB i thought they were looking really green, well the two i looked through and the answer was that they were prototypes, ive never heard anyone saying that again.

All they need is tint adjustment. Hopefully that is easy to do.

My VA has a slight cooler look also under artificial light, (probably the green is too high). I hope BM adds a "tint" control to the VA and EVF, along with a B&W mode, would be great.
    Cheers

Can't you get B&W by turning the saturation down?

My VA is just a touch green at 6500K. I don't even see it until I shoot it with a camera and you can see the vector is just off center.

It would need white balance control not tint. Tint is only going to affect the chroma phase, your whites and greys will still look green.

Good point, you are right Howie. But with a tint control and a saturation control together, you should be able to WB the monitor? This is how the old CRT monitors were calibrate, first,adjust brightness to get Cole bar purge block up, then go,to,single gun monochrom, or put a filter over the screen, then adjust chroma and tint to obtain matching mid grey on the respective bars to get a neutral WB or momitor match on the screens.

That said, Using my Micro Studio camera and the VA, I set brightness to 60, contrast to 30 and saturation between 45-55, and I got a fairly neutral display, which fairly clean whites from a properly WB camera, using a Vector scope to get camera WB set with a Ikan monitor.
    But being able to dial in several different WB settings like the Ikan does, would also be nice.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 12-14-2015 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Good point, you are right Howie. But with a tint control and a saturation control together, you should be able to WB the monitor? This is how the old CRT monitors were calibrate, first,adjust brightness to get Cole bar purge block up, then go,to,single gun monochrom, or put a filter over the screen, then adjust chroma and tint to obtain matching mid grey on the respective bars to get a neutral WB or momitor match on the screens.
    Cheers
    That's only for adjusting chroma phase and saturation. A greyscale has no chroma so all of those adjustments are meaningless. Any good CRT had separate white balance and black balance adjustment, Sony called them gain and bias. The really good ones had connections for probes, sweet probes.