Thread: Any news on the URSA Major/Mini 4.6K (PL Version) ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    Okay. Of course I'd rather see footage, and I'm sure he's going to shoot something when he gets his gear assembled, but he's waiting on some items himself!
    Thank you!
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

My retail dealer in Vancouver sent me an email yesterday with a photo of the URSA Mini 4.6K EF he received.
    I would bet money this isn't a shipping or final production unit. Probably an old NAB demo unit. Ask him if it can record!

Steven, I'll try to get a more complete understanding about the camera he has. Likely going to talk to him Sunday now.

Steven, I spoke to my dealer and he confirmed the URSA Mini 4.6K EF camera is shipping albeit likely in very limited quantities and he received a full production URSA Mini 4.6K EF. He is awaiting some other components that are to be delivered this week and a customer will be testing the camera to evaluate its suitability for his purposes later in the week. The retailer is not a cinematographer himself, but he felt it wouldn't be long until we begin to see footage for the URSA Mini 4.6K EF cameras.

I also asked about the PL version with the UMB4 mount. He has the B4 mount but it would appear the 4.6K PL is not shipping yet. He is going to notify me when he receives a Mini 4.6K PL shipment notice.
    Last edited by rick.lang; 11-15-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Steven, I spoke to my dealer and he confirmed the URSA Mini 4.6K EF camera is shipping albeit likely in very limited quantities and he received a full production URSA Mini 4.6K EF. He is awaiting some other components that are to be delivered this week and a customer will be testing the camera to evaluate its suitability for his purposes later in the week. The retailer is not a cinematographer himself, but he felt it wouldn't be long until we begin to see footage for the URSA Mini 4.6K EF cameras.

I also asked about the PL version with the UMB4 mount. He has the B4 mount but it would appear the 4.6K PL is not shipping yet. He is going to notify me when he receives a Mini 4.6K PL shipment notice.
    Unbelievable news.
    www.lightformfilm.com

Denny reminded me that the Pocket camera was first released to a small number of retail vendors for demo purposes prior to the filling of back orders and general public release. If BMD is following the same tactic with the URSA Mini 4.6K EF camera, then it does begin to make sense and is good news, but still not predictive for the monumental task of filling back orders and URSA 4.6K turret upgrades. You never know when it will happen, until it has happened. (That last sentence sounds like I'm channeling the late great Yogi Berra.)

Denny reminded me that the Pocket camera was first released to a small number of retail vendors for demo purposes prior to the filling of back orders and general public release. If BMD is following the same tactic with the URSA Mini 4.6K EF camera, then it does begin to make sense and is good news, but still not predictive for the monumental task of filling back orders and URSA 4.6K turret upgrades. You never know when it will happen, until it has happened. (That last sentence sounds like I'm channeling the late great Yogi Berra.)
    I think he might be the ONLY retailer to have one?
    www.lightformfilm.com

Apologies, but the camera thought to be the URSA Mini 4.6K camera, was today discovered to be the 4K version! Blackmagic apparently had mentioned they were shipping 'the camera' in an email thread about the 4.6K camera so the vendor's receiver took the camera out of the box and recorded it as 4.6K. Today when they went to shoot some footage, they realized a mistake has been made. To their embarrassment, they apologize for the misinformation about the camera. They called BMD and were told the 4.6K camera is "not due [to ship] for a few weeks yet."

Sorry, everyone.

Wasn't a complete disaster today as my youngest daughter announced she is getting married!

Congrats Rick, that is great news ( your daughter, of course). Cheers

1 year later and finally got hands on my PL version of the URSA mini...will be posting full review of my 1st shoot and overall experience using it. I am pretty happy so far!

If anyone in the LA area needs a URSA MINI PL, don't hesitate to contact me. cheers

Clay
    Clay Haskell
    WRITER | DIRECTOR
    www.HASKELLFILMS.com