Thread: Any news on the URSA Major/Mini 4.6K (PL Version) ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFilmMaker View Post
    Quick question... Will there be any way to go from a PL mount 4.6k Mini to an EF mount? Is there an adapter that will allow this? Im thinking this would be the ideal camera, you would essentially have all these options at your disposal. You would have a PL mount to start then you could swap out for the B4 mount, or slap on an EF mount. If someone can shed some light on this it would be very helpful, or maybe i'm just wishful thinking?
    Currently no but once the camera starts shipping it's likely that a 3rd party, like Ciecio7 or MTF Services, might make an adaptor that mounts like the B4 mount (removing the front part of the PL mount and replacing it). There would be no support for electronic EF lenses tho as the mount has no power or communication with the camera.
    Adam Roberts
    www.adamroberts.net

Thanks Adam, that helps.

So I emailed customer support and asked for an unofficial estimate of when they think they'll be able to ship the 4.6k Ursa Minis and I got a reply pretty quickly:

"Hello Jerrod,

Thank you for contacting us. The URSA Mini 4K's started shipping last week in limited numbers, my guess (and this is only a best guess and not an official statement by Blackmagic Design) would be that the URSA Mini 4.6K cameras start shipping in about 4-6 weeks. It will take a few weeks to clear out the back order for the camera so if you haven't already pre ordered, it may mean that it would be sometime in January before resellers have them in stock."

Januari wouldnt be that bad..I was already thinking it would be feb./april. Altho Im not sure if they will really start shipping in 4 weeks from now, because they have send test versions of the 4.6k to some people that were not allowed to share footage..meaning they let some test the camera, make notes and then send the 4.6k back to them. So if they by now start looking at the notes it would mean they will tweak the sensor some more..meaning..I dont think they will have them ready to send them out in 4 weeks from now..the fact we havent seen any testfootage tells me the sensor is not done yet..Hope Im wrong ofcourse:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrod Cordell View Post
    So I emailed customer support and asked for an unofficial estimate of when they think they'll be able to ship the 4.6k Ursa Minis and I got a reply pretty quickly:

"Hello Jerrod,

Thank you for contacting us. The URSA Mini 4K's started shipping last week in limited numbers, my guess (and this is only a best guess and not an official statement by Blackmagic Design) would be that the URSA Mini 4.6K cameras start shipping in about 4-6 weeks. It will take a few weeks to clear out the back order for the camera so if you haven't already pre ordered, it may mean that it would be sometime in January before resellers have them in stock."
    It will be just in time for the 1K drop around NAB 2016 and another set of new cameras they won't deliver on time. Still the best strategy with BMD cameras is to buy a year after announcement as that's when they drop the price.

Quote Originally Posted by k0bayashi View Post
    It will be just in time for the 1K drop around NAB 2016 and another set of new cameras they won't deliver on time. Still the best strategy with BMD cameras is to buy a year after announcement as that's when they drop the price.
    If anything, I'd only expect to see the Production Camera 4K to drop around $500-$700 in price. Right now it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the BMPC and URSA Mini 4K to be the same price to the consumer. Dropping the price on the BMPC would definitely tier their pricing structure to fit virtually every budget.

Quote Originally Posted by ty_lowcountry View Post
    If anything, I'd only expect to see the Production Camera 4K to drop around $500-$700 in price. Right now it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the BMPC and URSA Mini 4K to be the same price to the consumer. Dropping the price on the BMPC would definitely tier their pricing structure to fit virtually every budget.
    Won;t be surprised to see the BMPC drop too, after all it is an EOL product.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Mulder View Post
    Januari wouldnt be that bad..I was already thinking it would be feb./april. Altho Im not sure if they will really start shipping in 4 weeks from now...
    My retail dealer in Vancouver sent me an email yesterday with a photo of the URSA Mini 4.6K EF he received. I've asked him for a photo of the front of the camera with the 4.6K badge on the turret, just to demonstrate it is actually the 4.6K model. He also received the Micro Studio camera and the BMD B4 mount for the URSA Mini PL camera!

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    My retail dealer in Vancouver sent me an email yesterday with a photo of the URSA Mini 4.6K EF he received. I've asked him for a photo of the front of the camera with the 4.6K badge on the turret, just to demonstrate it is actually the 4.6K model. He also received the Micro Studio camera and the BMD B4 mount for the URSA Mini PL camera!
    Could to ask him to take a pic of the 4.6k box?
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Okay. Of course I'd rather see footage, and I'm sure he's going to shoot something when he gets his gear assembled, but he's waiting on some items himself!