Thread: Changes in quality and colour upon YouTube Upload?

1. #1 Changes in quality and colour upon YouTube Upload? 
    I've been experiencing this for a while now, and been doing various tests, all of which unsuccessful. The final product on YouTube isn't as sharp as the original ProRes, or h264 as I've tried both, and it's also darker/slightly de-saturated in comparison to the original file.

Is there something I'm missing out along the way to cause this?

I usually shoot in ProRes HQ - Film - 25FPS. From there, I edit it together in FCP (currently 7 as I'm more used to that), colour it in Resolve and then add final layers back in FCP 7. That get's me the ProRes Master file, and if I need a h264, I'll put the master file in FCP X, and export accordingly as it's a lot quicker to compress.

It still all seems a little darker to me, and I can't work out why. Should I brighten everything in the grade to balance it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Toast View Post
    I've been experiencing this for a while now, and been doing various tests, all of which unsuccessful. The final product on YouTube isn't as sharp as the original ProRes, or h264 as I've tried both, and it's also darker/slightly de-saturated in comparison to the original file.

Is there something I'm missing out along the way to cause this?

I usually shoot in ProRes HQ - Film - 25FPS. From there, I edit it together in FCP (currently 7 as I'm more used to that), colour it in Resolve and then add final layers back in FCP 7. That get's me the ProRes Master file, and if I need a h264, I'll put the master file in FCP X, and export accordingly as it's a lot quicker to compress.

It still all seems a little darker to me, and I can't work out why. Should I brighten everything in the grade to balance it out?
    A change in the profile of the footage or a gamma shift anywhere in the chain can give you totally different results, so it's pretty difficult to pin down based on any generic advice. The best solution that I could come up with is instead of continuing to render out my entire project to check for the best quality, just pick a 3-4 second representative clip and do your processing with different codecs and see which one gives the best final result.

BROWSER choice also makes a difference.
    CHROME has been shown to display colors differently when viewing YouTube videos.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

The test footage definitely looks better on Safari and Chrome, in comparison to my usual browser of Firefox (which is odd cos I've not noticed other people's videos looking 'off').

I think it might be the fact that I'm seeing it at it's clearest before upload, so any downscaling is noticeable to me. I've tried a ProRes 422 HQ, a standard ProRes 422, H.264 and the straight to YouTube option from FCP X. The latter option seems best result, even if does seem to dip in quality slightly. Looks fine on tablets and phones though.