Thread: Duclos modded stills lens VS budget Cinelens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Duclos modded stills lens VS budget Cinelens 
    Not necessarily for the BMCC, I'm just talking in general...which would you go for. The Duclos modded Zeiss set at US$9,200 OR a 17-50 RED zoom (US$6,000)+ the 85mm Zeiss cp2 (US4,000) combo. Its almost the same price so it comes down to Optical quality and mechanics. Higher end Cine lenses are out of my price range however this budget combination would get me up and running in the cinelens world with most of the range I need for what I shoot. However does the RED replace the zeiss zf in that range as it pertains to optical quality?? Mechanics I'd think its much better, it being a cinelens. What would you guys choose?
    Last edited by jambredz; 10-21-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

I'd get the Rokinon (Samyang) Cine 24mm T1.5, 35mm T1.5 and 85mm T1.5 (which just got announced), and also the SLR Magic Noktor 12mm T1.6 (if you go MFT BMC that is) - that whole set will cost roughly $2000USD. And given that the Rokinon lenses can cover a full-frame sensor, the BMC will be using the sharpest part of the glass (the same goes for APS-C sensors).
    My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

Well, one thing to consider is that the ZF cine-mods are in Nikon F mount, and while you can adapt them to EF mount for a bit more money, PL is not an option. Now, that's not a problem if you're shooting BMCC (though the focal length range will be of course), and if you have a Canon mount for RED, it'll work there, too (you might also be able to use them with Allstar's A-Mount on certain other cameras as well). But to not have PL mounts does limit the lens' usefulness if you're shooting something that's not a DSLR.

Not saying don't get the Zeiss, but make sure you don't need the PL mount beforehand, particularly if you're going to be renting the lenses out as well.

the cp.2 and zf.2 are better.

but in that case you want the cp.2 lens to be a lens your going to actually be using the focus on while recording, a 35mm or 50mm would serve you better, close ups and extreme close ups are usually set before recording and locked off.

Isn't the 17-50 RED Zoom just a 17-50 Sigma rehoused? Not that different from a cine mod of a still lens in a matter of speaking.

I have heard that. but haven't seen solid proof myself. I believe Jarred Land or Jim Jannard of RED said the optics of the RED zoom are made by Oakley.

Quote Originally Posted by RaphaelWood View Post
    Isn't the 17-50 RED Zoom just a 17-50 Sigma rehoused? Not that different from a cine mod of a still lens in a matter of speaking.
    Darren Scott

My thinking is actually nikon mount is much more adaptable than PL. Almost any cam can be adapted to Nikon with an appropriate adapter. I'm not sure about PL though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M. View Post
    Well, one thing to consider is that the ZF cine-mods are in Nikon F mount, and while you can adapt them to EF mount for a bit more money, PL is not an option. Now, that's not a problem if you're shooting BMCC (though the focal length range will be of course), and if you have a Canon mount for RED, it'll work there, too (you might also be able to use them with Allstar's A-Mount on certain other cameras as well). But to not have PL mounts does limit the lens' usefulness if you're shooting something that's not a DSLR.

Not saying don't get the Zeiss, but make sure you don't need the PL mount beforehand, particularly if you're going to be renting the lenses out as well.
    Darren Scott

I have a Rokinon 85mm and just sold my 35mm (gonna probably pick up the 35cinelens). However the 24mm is getting way 2 many mixed reviews and most haven't been that good, so i'm skipping on that one for now. the 85 and the 35 are quite nice. Cine mechanics and accurate scales is what I'm after (rokinons scales are not accurate), but if the visual quality of the Zeiss (21,25,35,50) beats out the RED zoom i'd get the zeiss because that's more important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Shasha View Post
    I'd get the Rokinon (Samyang) Cine 24mm T1.5, 35mm T1.5 and 85mm T1.5 (which just got announced), and also the SLR Magic Noktor 12mm T1.6 (if you go MFT BMC that is) - that whole set will cost roughly $2000USD. And given that the Rokinon lenses can cover a full-frame sensor, the BMC will be using the sharpest part of the glass (the same goes for APS-C sensors).
    Darren Scott

Not quite understanding what you are saying here. The choices weren't a cp2 and zf2 combo. its either zeiss zf set (21,25,35,50,85) or red zoom+ 85mm cp2 combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Amr Rahmy View Post
    the cp.2 and zf.2 are better.

but in that case you want the cp.2 lens to be a lens your going to actually be using the focus on while recording, a 35mm or 50mm would serve you better, close ups and extreme close ups are usually set before recording and locked off.
    Darren Scott

oh, i meant if you are planing on converting/upgrading the set incrementally to cp.2, you can start at a better position. having a close up or extreme close up with the best mechanics makes little sense. so the zf.2 is a better choice.

i thought you were going for the 18mm.

the f mount would work on canon(EOS) or M43 or nikkon(F), no PL.