Thread: Tiffen Black Pro-Mist 1/4 and 1/8

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I use both and I find the Tiffen Black Satin to give a little more of an overall soft diffused glow than the HBM. Whether or not you would want that on your Vampire themed production depends on the look you want. I don't think they are the same. I think the Tiffen Black Satin will give a little more of a "dreamy" soft look than the HBM.
    Not sure what "dreamy" means in pixels, but I'm just judging by what tests I could find online. The Black Satin (1) seemed less intrusive, less obvious than even a 1/4 Black Magic. But the highlights on faces seemed smoothed and film like. Is that the case?

I don't want it to be too obvious that we are filtering. Any help on making the faces smooth though are welcome. My vamps are mostly female.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    Not sure what "dreamy" means in pixels, but I'm just judging by what tests I could find online. The Black Satin (1) seemed less intrusive, less obvious than even a 1/4 Black Magic. But the highlights on faces seemed smoothed and film like. Is that the case?

I don't want it to be too obvious that we are filtering. Any help on making the faces smooth though are welcome. My vamps are mostly female.
    "Dreamy" is usually used to describe the soft glowing look that diffusion filters create. Diffusion distorts and expand highlights the most visibly - like light sources. It will make small points of light appear to have a glow around them. That's the most recognizable aspect of diffusion filters.
    The Black Satin is a diffusion filter.

There are also Contrast Reducing filters. These do what the name implies - gently reduce the contrast for a "prettier" or more "cinematic" look. The ARRI Alexa has a subtle contrast reducing filter built into it.
    The Hollywood Black Magic filter is a Combo filter - it employs both subtle Contrast Reducing along with subtle Diffusion. This is probably why it is so successful and popular. I personally almost never shoot anything narrative without the HBM filter up front.
    I use the HBM 1/8th strength the most. Most people never notice it. But it's there doing it's beauty thing. I will often switch to the 1/4 strength for closeup shots because the 1/8th is less effective when the subject is big in the frame. The 1/4 on closeups also helps smooth out and beautify faces just a tad.

Hope this helps clear up the terminology a bit.

~Cheers!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post

If you want straight diffusion without halation check out the Tiffen Digital Diffusion FX filter. Most of the combo filters (HBM, Black Satin, Satin, Diffusion FX, etc.,) offer a fixed low strength of halation with variable levels of diffusion, the "Black" variants reign in the loss of contrast.

Good Luck